• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help...Mentally Ill mother...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JsG5043

Hello,
I am hoping that I could get some good advice on this website. My story is complicated but I will try to simplify it the best way I can. I am a 20 year old young woman who lives with her mother in PA. When I was 13, my father left. To this day, he still pays all of the bills (Utilities, Rent etc..) on top of money to my mother in the amount of $200 a week. My mother is not clinically diagnosed as mentally ill to my knowledge, but she does see a psychiatrist and is on a number of medications and shows MANY signs of being Bi-Polar. She is in denial about herself and the things she does to others. In order to help everyone understand, I will give some examples:

Before I was even born, my father had many threatening incidents with her including death threats, verbal and physical abuse. One inicident was when my parents lived in an apartment. My mother was going crazy breaking things around the house and the downstairs neighbor called the police. The police came and she told them that my father hit her. She got scared because she lied and told them the truth that he did not. The police believed my father regaurdless that he did not touch her. This continued after I was born. In 1991, this seemed to be the peak of her illness. My father has kept records on this as well from Sept. of 1991 to at least Dec. of 1991 and maybe even longer. There was an incident when I was 3 years old where my mother got enraged with my father on Thanksgiving night and chased him out of the house with a butcher knife leaving him to sleep in his car because he feared for his life. My grandmother (on my Mothers side) offered to let my father and I sleep at her house but my father refused because he knew what hell my mother could raise. Continuing when I was 4 years old I had said "I'm pretty and you're jealous." She said to my father "I hate that little Mother Fu***r. I should have never had her. I lost my looks when I did. I hope you both drop dead." What did I know at 4 years old? An inicident I clearly remember when I was 5 was a time that I was sitting in my room and all of the sudden she throws everything I had off of my dresser. She defends herself by saying "It was because you wouldn't clean your room." I do not recall having a messy room nor does my father who was standing there. When I got older, I remember hysterically crying, we had been through an eviction and I was very upset. We had just moved into a new apartment and she took a pillow and smothered me with it because she did not want neighbors to here and proceeded to pull my hair. More recently, the threats have been about a friend of hers who she doesn't talk to anymore but is a very vindictive and evil person. She has done much to hurt people. My mother threatens me with this, and although I believe she is just trying to scare me, I still feel somewhat afraid. No matter what, there is no reasoning with her. There is always an argument. My mother is mentally ill, and she tries to brainwash me into thinking I am as well. I do have anxiety but looking at my life, I think it is understandable.

I feel as though I am in danger at the moment. She keeps records saying that I abuse her (verbally) when many arguments start because she is not normal and cannont relate to people.I have my father to vouch as well. I do not know what she could do to me. I just wanted to know what my rights are? She threatens to kick me out, and although her name is on the lease with my father (who pays the rent), she does not pay for a thing in the house. My father will take her name off the lease for my protection if need be. I feel as though she may try to accuse me of ludicrous things.

thank you.

JsG5043

I have no where else to go. I am currently a student and I do not make enough to even come close to supporting myself or even living with a roomate. Unfortunatly things are pretty messed up with my dad as well. He lives with his current girlfriend, in her house who does not want me there from what I gather because I have never met her and do not want to ever meet her. I just don't feel there is a need. I was going to leave in 2005 but he later told me "there really isn't any room for you, you would sleep on the couch because theres no other place." Although my father is on my side with the situation i deal with at home with my mother, he can't do much else. I do not have a close family so I do not have anyone to go to. I am stuck here until I can make some more money.

JsG5043

They are in the process of a divorce but technically they are not. I don't know if they are legally seperated, I never understood it. He left in 01 and supports her still and pays the bills. What would you call that lol? I'm not really sure =/

mistoffolees

I feel as though I am in danger at the moment. She keeps records saying that I abuse her (verbally) when many arguments start because she is not normal and cannont relate to people.I have my father to vouch as well. I do not know what she could do to me. I just wanted to know what my rights are? She threatens to kick me out, and although her name is on the lease with my father (who pays the rent), she does not pay for a thing in the house. My father will take her name off the lease for my protection if need be. I feel as though she may try to accuse me of ludicrous things.

thank you.
You're an adult. Start taking care of yourself.

The house is not your problem - that's between your father and mother.

If you think you're in danger, move out. Furthermore, if what you're claiming is true, you should call the police next time both to protect yourself and to get your mother the care she needs.

Either move in with your father or get a job and your own place. Lots of people manage to go to school without living at home. But in any event, you have no rights to the apartment because your name is not on the lease.

JsG5043

I can't move in with my father.

I will repost what I previously said as to why I can't:
I have no where else to go. I am currently a student and I do not make enough to even come close to supporting myself or even living with a roomate. Unfortunatly things are pretty messed up with my dad as well. He lives with his current girlfriend, in her house who does not want me there from what I gather because I have never met her and do not want to ever meet her. I just don't feel there is a need. I was going to leave in 2005 but he later told me "there really isn't any room for you, you would sleep on the couch because theres no other place." Although my father is on my side with the situation i deal with at home with my mother, he can't do much else. I do not have a close family so I do not have anyone to go to. I am stuck here until I can make some more money.

I DO have a job. But that will not pay the bills for a apartment. I have a car note, insurance, a previous school fee to pay every month, a gym bill and still need money to feed and clothe myself.

I realize I have no rights to the house but what I am saying is, since she does not contribute to the household, does that give her the right to put me out?

Silverplum

I DO have a job. But that will not pay the bills for a apartment. I have a car note, insurance, a previous school fee to pay every month, a gym bill and still need money to feed and clothe myself.

I realize I have no rights to the house but what I am saying is, since she does not contribute to the household, does that give her the right to put me out?
Yes. You are legally an adult and responsible for supporting yourself.

Cheymeister

Forgive me, but get ANOTHER job or two, whatever it takes. Get a cheaper car, cancel the gym subscription and any other extra stuff you have and take care of your adult necessities and stop worrying about your parents situation. You are a student, and have your life to figure out. If you don't have the funds to support yourself you have no business medling in your parents affairs.

Period.

xylene

Age 20, 'troubled' life, family history of abuse and mental illness...

You need to be RUNNING away from your parents.

This situation is super toxic, figure it out, get gone.

See a counselor asap.

mistoffolees

You're an adult. It's time to grow up.

I managed to get not just a B.S., but a PhD without support from my parents. I had two jobs much of the time. I had a 25 year old car. I didn't have extra money for parties, cigarettes, vacations, or other luxuries. But I survived. Lots of other people did, too.

You need to learn to be responsible for your own life. The sooner the better.

Bali Hai

You're an adult. It's time to grow up.

I managed to get not just a B.S., but a PhD without support from my parents. I had two jobs much of the time. I had a 25 year old car. I didn't have extra money for parties, cigarettes, vacations, or other luxuries. But I survived. Lots of other people did, too.

You need to learn to be responsible for your own life. The sooner the better.
Now I know why you remind me so much of that dork Dr. Phil!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">