• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and the UFDA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Isti

What is the name of your state? TN

Hey, I was wondering if a court in michigan could supboena me to appear for a divorce proceeding. And how does the UFDA take into account the hardships placed upon the witness for travel and such?

garrula lingua

USB Flash Drive Alliance ??
Utah Funeral Director's Association ??

Underwear For Democrats Alliance ?

Umbrellas For Dry Appearance ??

Utmost Foreign Dignitary Apoplexy ?

Just Blue

USB Flash Drive Alliance ??
Utah Funeral Director's Association ??

Underwear For Democrats Alliance ?

Umbrellas For Dry Appearance ??

Utmost Foreign Dignitary Apoplexy ?
lol!! You too huh?? I have been trying to figure out who or what the UFDA is for 5 min...:p

Utterly Frivolous Divorce Attorney?

garrula lingua

lol!! You too huh?? I have been trying to figure out who or what the UFDA is for 5 min...:p

Utterly Frivolous Divorce Attorney?
hahaha good one, Bay.

OP, as you are a witness and not a party, what is the problem ??

Were you served in Tn, then left the jurisdiction ?
Or were you served elsewhere ?

What testimony can you offer the court regarding any issue in dispute ??

garrula lingua

Subpoenas for Out-of-State Depositions
Getting a subpoena to depose an out-of-state non-party requires a few procedural hurdles. Tennessee has adopted the Uniform Foreign Depositions Act, which makes it easy for other attorneys to take depositions here. Twelve other states have various forms of the uniform act. For a good, concise reference on subpoenaing an out of state person for a deposition, the ABA has posted up this article:
http://www.abanet.org/yld/litigation/lit101pdf/Wilkins.pdf

It's unusual to use this in a divorce case.
What testimony can you offer ?
If they can get the info another way, move to quash the depositon subpoena (you appear in your local court re the deposition subpoena).

Isti

Ive not been served or anything... lets just say Ive pissed off a certain someones husband out of state and right now I fear I may be used as a reason for filing.

garrula lingua

Isti,
The UFDA appears to be more prevalent in complex civil cases. The UFDA requires that the party requesting the deposition hire a local attorney (in your state) to get permission to subpoena you to the deposition (in your area).

If you're the one who slept with the wife, it's doubtful H will have the funds to pay for a foreign deposition. H and W during a divorce are usually suffocating on normal divorce bills and living expenses for two houses where there once was one home, nevermind the trauma to the kids.

If one party signed over mucho commumity property to you to divert it from the other, you may, indeed, get a subpoena.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">