• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my obligations at separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ummonx

What is the name of your state? CT

My wife announced last fall she wanted a separation. We tried to work things out. but Now I am thinking just to hell with everything

If I move out, I understand I need to pay the basic expenses (house, bills, utility etc). But she likes to spend money like water. She doesn't work and we have 3 kids

What I am Obligated to pay other then the necessities. I would assume food, clothes etc. How is it determined?

Thanks in advance

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CT

My wife announced last fall she wanted a separation. We tried to work things out. but Now I am thinking just to hell with everything

If I move out, I understand I need to pay the basic expenses (house, bills, utility etc). But she likes to spend money like water. She doesn't work and we have 3 kids

What I am Obligated to pay other then the necessities. I would assume food, clothes etc. How is it determined?

Thanks in advance
You are not "obligated" to pay anything until/unless a judge orders you to do so. However, it could look bad on you if you don't.

What you NEED to pay, to protect yourself and your credit, are any bills that are in your name or are joint, and you need to make sure that the basic necessities are covered for your kids.

Whatever you do, don't cancel your wife's health insurance, that one could get you in a real mess. In fact, don't cancel any insurance.

Ummonx

No, wouldn't think of that. I just want to make sure I am paying what is fair.

Would a judge frown upon paying all the bills, and give her something like $1500 cash a month for food and clothes. But close all the credit cards (she has none of her own)

LdiJ

No, wouldn't think of that. I just want to make sure I am paying what is fair.

Would a judge frown upon paying all the bills, and give her something like $1500 cash a month for food and clothes. But close all the credit cards (she has none of her own)
You can close all of the credit cards without a problem, and I would do that. A judge wouldn't frown on you for paying the bills.

However, a judge might order temporary support of a given amount, and make her responsible for paying the bills out of that amount. I can't see a judge giving her 1500.00 a month for food and clothing unless you make a really serious amount of money and you have lots of kids.

I don't like the idea of her having to be responsible for paying the bills, because I suspect that they are all in your name, and its your credit that is going to get tanked if she spends the money on something else, rather than the bills.

One of the most important things (other than making sure your children's basic needs are met in the short term) is to protect your credit.

Ummonx

3 kids, and yes I make some serious money. 250+

Luckily only half of it is touchable by her and the courts in CT. I have a side business, I checked in CT, your imputed income can only take into account 45 hours a week, or your primary job. (which is about half of what I make)

LdiJ

3 kids, and yes I make some serious money. 250+

Luckily only half of it is touchable by her and the courts in CT. I have a side business, I checked in CT, your imputed income can only take into account 45 hours a week, or your primary job. (which is about half of what I make)
Don't get too sure about that. You aren't dealing with an "imputed" income situation. You are dealing with real income...Hire yourself an attorney, you cannot afford NOT to do so.

In the meantime, while things are pendng, pay the regular bills and add a couple of hundred dollars a week for food and incidentals. (incidentals being paper goods, toiletry items, laundry and cleaning items, gasoline to transport the children, etc.). If your income is 250k a year you can't affort to mess up your credit nor come across to the judge as financially abandoning the family.

mistoffolees

Planning on trying mediation, would you suggest otherwise?
There's rarely a downside to at least attempting mediation. If it works, it will be faster, less expensive, and less fractious than litigation. If it fails, you can always litigate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">