• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anamarise

What is the name of your state? TX
In July 2007 a friend and I agreed that she could use my credit card for her business use since she did not have a large line of credit. This of course is a friend I trusted with my life. Moreover, the agreement was she would pay in full each month. She did until Nov. 2007 when the credit card was up to 30,000 and her business folded. She has never waivered to assume the debt. I have several emails, etc. stating this and how she is trying to assume the debt. However, it is just not happening fast enough. What are my legal options. I am most interested in having something legally to hold her to the debt. Would a credit card company honor a court order in which she is agreeing to take over the debt and remove from my credit report. Needless to say, I have no other credit card debt. I pay them in full each month. She has been making payments but again, I want the debt off my credit report. What are my options?

seniorjudge

Q: What are my legal options.

A: You keep paying the credit card company. You also sue her for what she got from you.

Anamarise

Thank you for your reply. She acutually has been paying the credit card...making as much of a payment as she can until she is able to assume the entire debt. Do I need to hire an attorney?

seniorjudge

Apparently she has no money.

So suing her wouldn't do much good.

But you may want to hire a lawyer and get a big honking judgment against her so that sometime in the future she can pay off.

Would a credit card company honor a court order in which she is agreeing to take over the debt and remove from my credit report.

Dream on.

By the way, sister, this woman has conned you big time. If she is your friend, then I hate to see your enemy!

OP, you are a tough spot. You are responsible for this debt to the credit card company. You are going to have to either pay it off lump sum, continue making payments, or you will have an adverse credit impact.

If you sue her, I suspect she will stop making payments until the lawsuit is resolved. Are you prepared to pay off the debt/make all payments on your own if she doesn't? Your post indicated she is making "some payments", are they enough to postpone suing her?

On the other hand, if she owes you, she owes others. Is there a chance she will file bankruptcy? leave town?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">