• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can other states' points affect a CA license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starkiwi

A question from California: my husband recently got a speeding ticket in Missouri, but his driver's license is from CA. Does MO have authority to transact on a CA license? In other words, will it be necessary for us to "fix" the ticket in MO to avoid points or can we just pay the fine and be done with it? Thanks for any advice!

JustAPal00

No, just pay the fine. Look up the "drivers license compact" if you would like more information.

Unless he has a CDL

occharge

.... but his driver's license is from CA...
No, just pay the fine. Look up the "drivers license compact" if you would like more information.

Unless he has a CDL
:confused:

I think the answer should be (actually IS) YES, it can... it will!
Not sure what you mean by "fix" the ticket... If he did the crime (actually an infraction, at least by California standard) then he should pay the fine!

CourtClerk

Actually, that is incorrect. If the OP received a ticket that will result in a point in CA, then the point WILL be applied to his DMV record. I've seen it happen myself, over and over.

You need to attend driver safety or traffic school (or whatever they would call it in MO) to avoid the point.

FlyingRon

Does CA see the points, or just he conviction? If so, then a deal where you get no fine or no points, but a conviction is entered may not do him any good. Of course some states defer entry of judgment to allow you to meet the conditions (traffic school, etc..) and those CA should never hear about in any form.

occharge

Does CA see the points, or just he conviction?
Since "point" assessments vary from state to state, I would sure hope that California sees the "conviction" uponwhich they will manually assess the points accordingly.

Here's what the DMV website says...
This from the California Drivers handbook under the section titled Actions Against An Adult's License

Each time you are convicted of a moving traffic law violation, the court notifies the DMV and the conviction is placed on your driver license record. Convictions reported by other states are also added to your driver record.
CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE SECTION 13363

Conviction in Another State
13363. (a) The department may, in its discretion, except as provided in Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 15000) of Division 6, of this code, suspend or revoke the privilege of any resident or nonresident to drive a motor vehicle in this State upon receiving notice of the conviction of the person in a state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or the Dominion of Canada of an offense therein which, if committed in this State, would be grounds for the suspension or revocation of the privilege to operate a motor vehicle.

(b) Whenever any state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or the Dominion of Canada reports the conviction of a violation in such place by a person licensed in this State, the department shall not give effect to such report pursuant to subdivision (a) of this section or Section 15023 unless the department is satisfied that the law of such other place pertaining to the conviction is substantially the same as the law of this State pertaining to such conviction and that the description of the violation from which the conviction arose, is sufficient and that the interpretation and enforcement of such law are substantially the same in such other place as they are in this State.

Amended Ch. 237, Stats. 1963. Effective September 20, 1963.

Last edited:

JustAPal00

I stand corrected, I thought since CA wasn't a member of the NRVC, the information didn't go either way. I read it and if the OP were from Missouri and got ticketed in CA, it wouldn't affect their license, but since it is the oposite way it will!

The Occultist

I stand corrected, I thought since CA wasn't a member of the NRVC, the information didn't go either way. I read it and if the OP were from Missouri and got ticketed in CA, it wouldn't affect their license, but since it is the oposite way it will!
And now you know. And knowledge is power! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">