• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get a continuance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvumfl

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

I asked this attorney who is suing me representing CACV. I have no idea who this is. I had surgery in October and recuperated until January. Supposedly she was going to continue this until January. Well, she didn't. She got a judgement against me on December 14th. I was unable to go because I had my open incision and it was draining from my surgery. I get a notice recently that I need to appear in court on April 30th for a supplemental proceedings and it states she got a judgement against me on December 14th. So that's how I know she didn't continue it like I asked. SO how do I get a continuance without going to court on Wednesday. I was told at the court to speak with the judge's clerk and all continuances will be approved. Is this true?

Also, I don't have the money for an attorney. Are public defenders good? I don't know what to do other than getting a continuance at this point. I can't go as I have my 3 year old and I can't bring him to court. Please help!

JETX

SO how do I get a continuance without going to court on Wednesday.
You can make your "Motion for Continuance" in writing, including the reason you think that the court should grant your motion.

I was told at the court to speak with the judge's clerk and all continuances will be approved. Is this true?
See above.

Also, I don't have the money for an attorney. Are public defenders good?
Most are, but your case is in civil court. PD's only apply in criminal court.

I don't know what to do other than getting a continuance at this point. I can't go as I have my 3 year old and I can't bring him to court.
I doubt the court would grant a continuance solely on that.

luvumfl

Sorry, I didn't state my real reason for needing a continuance. My main reason is I need to hire an attorney somehow. Obviously she got a judgement against me without my knowledge. She was suppose to continue it until after my recuperation. BUT went ahead with it anyway. I only found out about it when I got this notice to appear on Wednesday, April 30th. Can I do this in writing to the judge even though I only have two days? I would go in person and ask but like I said I have my 3 year old. Still looking for someone to watch him. Thanks for your help.

JETX

Sorry, I didn't state my real reason for needing a continuance. My main reason is I need to hire an attorney somehow.
The court might grant ONE continuation with that excuse.... but not more than one. It is entirely up to you to find legal representation in a timely manner.

Obviously she got a judgement against me without my knowledge.
Not true. Your own post says that you knew of the lawsuit filing.

She was suppose to continue it until after my recuperation. BUT went ahead with it anyway.
As she should have. Simply, YOU failed to follow up on a motion to dismiss or continuance. There is NO obligation for the opposing party to do your work for you.

I only found out about it when I got this notice to appear on Wednesday, April 30th. Can I do this in writing to the judge even though I only have two days?
Some courts will allow... some don't. Contact the court and ask.

I would go in person and ask but like I said I have my 3 year old.
And of course, that is NOT relevant to the court.

Please try and find a lawyer quickly. You may have limited grounds to undo the judgment that has been entered, but there are deadlines that make the matter very time-sensitive.

As to the court appearance, it sounds like it deals with post-judgment matters. It's odd for there to be a court appearance unless there is some post-judgment discovery or similar matter that you have not responded to. Have you received anything in the mail since the judgment was entered?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">