• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faithnlve

What is the name of your state? vt..my girlfriend got divorced in 2001. She has a judgment of over 2300.0 with 9%. She never paid it. Can she still get sued?

JETX

my girlfriend got divorced in 2001. She has a judgment of over 2300.0 with 9%. She never paid it. Can she still get sued?
If the judgment has already been ordered against her... the time to sue has passed. She just has to pay it.

faithnlve

If the judgment has already been ordered against her... the time to sue has passed. She just has to pay it.
HUH? The time to sue has passed...She just has to pay it? Sorry Jetx...Your saying she can't be sued, but has to pay it?

CourtClerk

HUH? The time to sue has passed...She just has to pay it? Sorry Jetx...Your saying she can't be sued, but has to pay it?
JetX is correct. YOU said she already has a judgment. You can't sue to get a judgment when you already have one. You just have to pay it.

You need to stop asking questions for everyone else and deal with your own myriad of issues.

faithnlve

I asked the question wrong I guess. She has had a judgment against her since 2001. Can her ex still collect or is there a statute of limitations for him to be able to get it from her?

faithnlve

JetX is correct. YOU said she already has a judgment. You can't sue to get a judgment when you already have one. You just have to pay it.

You need to stop asking questions for everyone else and deal with your own myriad of issues.

Is it against forum policy to ask for others?

JustAPal00

There is no statute of limitations on judgements. It will always be there acruing interest. Some day she will go to buy a house and it will have to be settled in order to get a mortgage. Not to mention if the ex decides he wants to collect sooner. The best thing for her to do is try to work out a payment plan with him and start paying.

faithnlve

There is no statute of limitations on judgements. It will always be there acruing interest. Some day she will go to buy a house and it will have to be settled in order to get a mortgage. Not to mention if the ex decides he wants to collect sooner. The best thing for her to do is try to work out a payment plan with him and start paying.
Now wait a minute. There is no time limit on judgments? THEN how come it says SOL for Vermont is 8 years on judgments? What does that mean then? How come I am being told no time limit? Are you sure you are right in this advice? We thought after 8 years he could not come after her for the money. And I wanted to make sure. :confused: Faith

JustAPal00

I used to be a loan officer with a company dealing with mortgages for people with bad credit. We had to pay off a lot of "old" judgements in order to get people approved!

faithnlve

I found this in a credit site as well....
STATE: VERMONT

INTEREST RATE

Legal: 12%

Judgment: 12%

STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS (IN YEARS)

Open Acct.: 6

Written Contract: 6

Domestic Judgment: 8

Foreign Judgment: 8
Can anyone tell me who is correct? thanks Faith

JustAPal00

20 yrs at 12 % http://www.cardreport.com/laws/judgement-sol.html

20 yrs at 12 % http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/statuteLimitationsJudgements.shtml

20 yrs at 12 % http://www.creditrepairkitsoftware.com/jugdemen.html

20 yrs at 12 % http://www.bad-credit-advisor.com/statute-limitations-judgments.html

All of the above sites say 20 years, but if it can be revived through the courts then even that is irrelevant. Just Google it!

I got this from another site!

� 4. In Vermont, "actions for the renewal or revival of judgments shall be brought within eight years after the rendition of the judgment, and not after." 12 V.S.A. � 506.

So it looks like he has 8 years to revive the judgement!

faithnlve

one last question...:p What happens if the 8 years has gone by already, say in January the 8 years is up, can they revive it now? Or is the judgment now gone and can't be revived since 8 years was as of January of 2008. Thanks again Faith

JustAPal00

From what I read, it sounded like if 8 years went by then it was too late to try to revive it. Like I said the judgement will have to be settled to get a mortgage, and right now it's probably up to around $5000. It is just going to keep getting bigger. He might try to collect before the twenty years is up, and it could be very costly. Why doesn't she try to work something out with him. Maybe he'll take a reduced amount and sign off, or take payments. I did read that a judgement for back child support has no SOL.

faithnlve

From what I read, it sounded like if 8 years went by then it was too late to try to revive it. Like I said the judgement will have to be settled to get a mortgage, and right now it's probably up to around $5000. It is just going to keep getting bigger. He might try to collect before the twenty years is up, and it could be very costly. Why doesn't she try to work something out with him. Maybe he'll take a reduced amount and sign off, or take payments. I did read that a judgement for back child support has no SOL.
I know I am blond, but, If your saying the judgment is too late to revive, then they can no longer collect on the judgment. Right? So why would it still have to be settled to get a mortgage? And how did getting a mortgage come into the picture anyways?? She is not looking for any loans. The judgment was for marital assets division, and her ex never collected on it. It actually was January of 2000 the divorce was done. IF he had 8 years to revive the judgment and in January of this year never did so, then isn't the judgment gone all together? There is nothing on her credit report for this. Plus when I did check the Vermont statutes themselves it says 8 years to collect for divorce judgment. This is what it states "§ 506: Judgments (8 years): "Actions on judgments and actions for the renewal or
revival of judgments shall be brought within eight years after the rendition of the
judgment . . ." So, is she free and clear of him collecting on it now? Thanks Faith

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">