• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need HELP with civil court subpoena!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jawoak35

What is the name of your state? Nevada/Kentucky

Ok, let me first explain the situation and then get to the immediate question. I was employed as a bouncer at a bar in Kentucky; and in Oct. of 07 there was a fight in which, while defending myself, I ended up breaking a guy's nose. He filed a complaint, but being that he was drunk and I had witnesses that said he tried to take a swing at me, the county prosecutor did not file charges. Fast forward to now. I live in Nevada and I just found out the other day that the guy is suiing the bar, however, I am not named in the suit. He claims that an "unknown bouncer" assaulted him and he is suiing for medical expenses. Last week the insurance guy for the bar called me to take a verbal statement, in which I explained what had happened and he said that should be the end of it.

Ok, so here's the immediate issue. My wife, who is still in Kentucky for the time being, got a card in the mail from the County Circuit Court addressed to me saying that I had a certified restricted letter at the post office and needed to go sign for it.

My guess (uneducated as it may be) is that this is some sort of subpoena, or whatever you call it, telling me to appear in court as a witness or some such. I live in Nevada and obviously am not there to pick it up, nor to actually go to court.

What should I do? Are there any possible repercussions for not picking it up or going to court?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">