• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never married but have children.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lucy240147

My signifigant other whom I've lived with and bought a house with 7 years ago has passed away without a will.We have a daughter together that is 10 years old. We've been together 11 years.My question is what happens to the house in this case? I live in Pennsylvania. Oh by the way there is a second mortgage on the house in his name alone. Are we responsible to pay that debt with the house?

ALawyer

I do NOT know if PA law recognizes common law marriages, or if your actions there or out of state created a real marriage. If so although there was no ceremony, you'd be his wife and inherit something, along with your child. But the child is his heir, and would inherit at least part of his estate. (I do not know the PA laws on Intestate succession, and in many states parents / siblings also inherit absent a spouse and/or child.)

The mortgage remains on the house. It need not be paid off early, and usually should not be.

Get a lawyer in PA to handle the estate and see if you can be the guardian of the property the minor child will inherit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">