• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Street racing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CtuAgent

Georgia.

..Say some people and I were racing. lets say the cop didn't see me racing, so everyone (like 6 people) got arrested..except me.
Say- the cops want me to be a witness to their street racing, and the 6 people that were caught, and possibly their passengers snitch on me.
What do i do..? I was not issued a ticket or anything- just told that i was free to go, but i'm afraid that the guys who got caught are going to tell on me...especially if i'm a witness against them.

CtuAgent

OK- the thing is, I told the cops that i wasn't racing, and i think they believe it. If i plead the fifth- won't that be lying to the police?
for example,
court: "We want you to testify, since you are a witness to the racing"
me: "umm...funny story about that- I'd like to plead the fifth."
Court: "what? the cops said you wern't racing"
Me: What part of I plead the fifth don't you understand?

...something like that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Don't listen to Heath. If you are so concerned - consult with an attorney.

CtuAgent

yes- i will def. be consulting an attorney if i get suomepeanuts..subpeana...subpenus...ed..w/e.

However- here is what i want to know- if they do call me up and ask me to be a witness...i can say no, right?

The Occultist

Heath is incorrect in his understanding of how the 5th amendment works. You can testify that others were racing without stating that you were racing. Whether somebody else will claim you were racing has nothing to do with your 5th amendment rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">