• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP-Falsifying Identity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bogardk

Michigan.

I was recently arrested using a foreign I.D. to get into a bar in Midland, Michigan. I was charged with a MIP and taken for a night in jail. I was charged with two infractions. This is my first offense of anything, no parking or speeding tickets either. I blew a .13 while I being processed. I am wondering if I need a lawyer as soon as possible and if I am going to face jail time, I have no idea how the law works or what I am supposed to do. PLEASE HELP.

quincy

It never hurts to have an attorney.

The use of a fake ID as a minor, to obtain alcohol, can result in a fine, the loss of your driver's license, probation, and community service, if this is your first offense. For a first offense MIP, you can be fined, ordered to have substance abuse education, ordered to do community service, and drug-screening can be ordered.

For second offenses, you can face jail time, in addition to fines and the required completion of counseling and/or education programs, community service, and drug-screenings.

There may be additional penalties for using fake IDs, depending on where you got your fake ID and what you have used your fake ID for in the past. Altering and then using someone else's ID can result in identity theft charges, for instance.

Because of your age, and the fact that these are first offenses, you are probably eligible for probation programs and fines, with no adjudication and no record of any arrest appearing (except to law enforcement officials and the court) if you successfully complete all of the court-ordered requirements for probation.

Again, having an attorney wouldn't hurt, and the attorney can help to see that you are given probation if you are eligible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">