• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help, I got my first traffic ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hutra

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Hi,

I got a traffic misdemeanor ticket in NV for failing to stop at the signal of a police officer in a marked patrol vehicle, displaying flashing red lights and sounding a siren for two blocks. This is my first traffic ticket, and I don't know what to do. Also, the police officer wrote two blocks, but it only took me one block to stop. The reason why I didn't stop immediately was because there were many signs on the road saying "NO parking anytime," so I was taking a little time to find a safe place to stop. When the siren went on, I reduced my speed to 10 mph and even signaled right to show the officer that I acknowledged the sound of the siren. At first, he said he stopped me for not signaling when I changed lane. However, at the end (it took him 45 minutes to right the ticket) he gave me a ticket for not stopping when the siren went on. Has anyone in this situation before? The bail amount for my ticket is $1000. I am a college student, and I really don't have money to pay for it. Please give me some advice. Thanks for reading my post.

The Occultist

The reason why you need to pull over RIGHT AWAY is because the officer doesn't know what you are going to do. He doesn't know if you plan on putting up a chase, or if you're going to go around the corner where you got a bunch of armed buddies ready to attack the officer. Too many officers die in "routine" traffic stops, and officers know that. If the officer didn't feel it was safe for you to pull over, he would not have turned on the lights. Whether it was one block or two doesn't really matter, the point is that by your own admission you failed to obey an officer's signal. You will be at the mercy of the court. A local attorney might be able to mitigate your charges.

heath_durbin

My understanding...

Is that you (at least in California) are allowed to stop where you feel it is safe.

I would say get a lawyer, that is you BEST BET, however, you technically you can get a PD, they can do a good job at times... talk to them, explain you felt it was not safe to to stop there.

Good luck... ALSO, what is the code he charged you with?

heath_durbin

What the law says...

Special Stops Required

NRS 484.348 Stop required upon signal of peace officer; manner in which signal must be given; penalties.
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, the driver of a motor vehicle who willfully fails or refuses to bring his vehicle to a stop, or who otherwise flees or attempts to elude a peace officer in a readily identifiable vehicle of any police department or regulatory agency, when given a signal to bring his vehicle to a stop is guilty of a misdemeanor.
2. The signal by the peace officer described in subsection 1 must be by flashing red lamp and siren.
3. Unless the provisions of NRS 484.377 apply if, while violating the provisions of subsection 1, the driver of the motor vehicle:
(a) Is the proximate cause of damage to the property of a person other than himself; or
(b) Operates the motor vehicle in a manner which endangers or is likely to endanger any person other than himself or the property of any person other than himself,
Ê the driver is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 6 years, or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or by both fine and imprisonment.
4. If, while violating the provisions of subsection 1, the driver of the motor vehicle is the proximate cause of the death of or bodily harm to any person other than himself, the driver is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 20 years, or by a fine of not more than $50,000, or by both fine and imprisonment.
5. If the driver of the motor vehicle is convicted of a violation of NRS 484.379 or 484.379778 arising out of the same act or transaction as a violation of subsection 1, the driver is guilty of a category D felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130 for the violation of subsection 1.
(Added to NRS by 1975, 320; A 1979, 1805; 1981, 533; 1983, 1014; 1985, 26; 1989, 1194; 1993, 524; 1995, 1297, 1725; 1997, 547; 2003, 487; 2007, 2728)

JamaalJ

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Hi,

I got a traffic misdemeanor ticket in NV for failing to stop at the signal of a police officer in a marked patrol vehicle, displaying flashing red lights and sounding a siren for two blocks. This is my first traffic ticket, and I don't know what to do. Also, the police officer wrote two blocks, but it only took me one block to stop. The reason why I didn't stop immediately was because there were many signs on the road saying "NO parking anytime," so I was taking a little time to find a safe place to stop. When the siren went on, I reduced my speed to 10 mph and even signaled right to show the officer that I acknowledged the sound of the siren. At first, he said he stopped me for not signaling when I changed lane. However, at the end (it took him 45 minutes to right the ticket) he gave me a ticket for not stopping when the siren went on. Has anyone in this situation before? The bail amount for my ticket is $1000. I am a college student, and I really don't have money to pay for it. Please give me some advice. Thanks for reading my post.
This is why I usually stop at the first point where it is somewhat safe. I have been asked to keep moving until the officer felt it was safe. (they use their loudspeakers).

I think if you go to court and present yourself nicely, the Judge may let you off the hook. You did stop and as long as you were not frictional with the officer. If you have a lawyer, you will most liekly get off the hook but it will cost you. Then again, you might get an asshat judge.

I am sorry that I don't have the best advice, but chances are you will be let off the hook. If not, the judge will likely reduce the fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">