• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed Contest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pockylatte

Today i got pulled over in the morning for racing with my friend on a medium sized street. I started it.. and got pulled over. During the little race i occupied the lane on the opposite side of the road.. pretty bad. At first i thought he was going to just give me a warning but he gave me a ticket instead..Typical story huh? maybe not but i really didnt see it coming and im completely sure that i wont do something stupid like that anymore. But anyways the ticket has all the things out except for the approximate speed and max speed for the road. Those are the only two things that could really prove that i was speeding. I know i really did something wrong but i am only 16 and i dont want this to stay on my record for another what is it? 3 years? So basically am i good since they dont have any proof? It says i need a court date by 2 months so.. hopefully i file for the longest possible time and he forgets anything ever happened. Or he doesnt show up.. but those are just easy escapes from this matter that have a small possibility of happening. Any advice? Thank you very much for your time. its much appreciated.

Maestro64

If you are hoping this goes away by delaying it, you need to get out your dream world. This ticket you got is more serious then a speeding ticket these days. Considering your age you need to look up the statue the officer wrote on your ticket and see what it might say about Jr drivers or provisional drivers like yourself, they might have a special section in the vehicle code about Jr drivers and what happens if they get any sort of ticket.

You are most likely looking at a big fine or suspended license for what is now know as "speed contests," "exhibition of speed" or "street racing." The officer does not have to prove you were speeding, he just has to show you were racing, even if you never got over the speed limit.

I am not usually that blunt but you obviously know what you did and your not even saying it was a misunderstanding, I just not sure you realize your less then an year license is probably going to be suspended for a good long time.

heath_durbin

You MUST go to court.

Even if you wanted to say you did it and pay the fine, YOU still must go to court, as you are under 18.

What dose the ticket charge you with? and what codes? What state?

Racing? --- Don't know the most about this, but if you give me the code I can look it up. ---
Driving on the wrong side of the street? --- what code section? where you passing?
Speeding? --- How fast were you?

AS FAR AS THE TICKET itself, I'm glade it is doing its job, and HOPEFULLY preventing you from RACING again!!
(out side of approved races.)

I do not condone speeding, driving on the wrong side of the road (except to pass when legal and safe) and for sure not RACING.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">