• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims payment has been paid but ..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buffy

Iowa

I sent my small claims payment (paid in full) to the court to pay my judgment. This was the best means since I did not want to deal with this person and thought that the courts would take care of it. But in the meantime the plaintiff came to my county and filed a garnishment of my bank account. Now they are telling me that I have to go back to court since she filed this in my county and is holding my money order in her hand. She told the court that she will not sign the satisfaction order until all of the new fees are paid.

The court held on to the check for at least a week or so and during this time is when she filed. This filing she is asking for the filing fees, excution of order service and of course then the bank is going to take out $100 for their fee which now totals about $350.00

The only way I found out about this garnishment is that I reviewed my account on line and had to wait the weekend to get ahold of the legal department. They told me that they had the paperwork from my county. I called the small claims court and they could not understand since she said that she had mailed out the check so another series of calls were made and this is where I find out the plaintiff flied in my county. I called my courts and they said that I should have been served which I was not.

What do you think the outcome of this will be?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think you will end up paying the new amount, including added costs.
You should have sent payment directly to the plaintiff, as you were instructed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">