• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiding assets that are a part of a petition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? TX

I have a question on behalf of my sister who is currently without internet access.

She is currently going through a divorce. The original petition was filed in court in Feb. Part of the petition states that my sister must arrange for the truck that she has been using to be transferred from her STBX's name into hers. Well, over the weekend, her STBX hid the vehicle and refuses to divulge its location.

She was wondering if it is legal for him to do so. SHe realizes that the judge has not signed off on anything yet, but they have signed papers and filed them with the court. Does that count as temporary orders? Does he have to divluge the location of the vehicle? Or can he keep it hidden because it is still legally his regardless of the fact it is a part of the original petition that has been filed?

Thanks so much in advance!!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? TX

I have a question on behalf of my sister who is currently without internet access.

She is currently going through a divorce. The original petition was filed in court in Feb. Part of the petition states that my sister must arrange for the truck that she has been using to be transferred from her STBX's name into hers. Well, over the weekend, her STBX hid the vehicle and refuses to divulge its location.

She was wondering if it is legal for him to do so. SHe realizes that the judge has not signed off on anything yet, but they have signed papers and filed them with the court. Does that count as temporary orders? Does he have to divluge the location of the vehicle? Or can he keep it hidden because it is still legally his regardless of the fact it is a part of the original petition that has been filed?

Thanks so much in advance!!
Until the judge signs off on the petition, there is nothing enforceable. If, however, the judge does sign off on the petition, he will be forced to turn the vehicle over.

Bali Hai

Until the judge signs off on the petition, there is nothing enforceable. If, however, the judge does sign off on the petition, he will be forced to turn the vehicle over.
And in the meantime there should be no attempt to recover the truck, it is legal to shoot someone in Texas for attempting to steal your truck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">