• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No insurance ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

astrid

What is the name of your state? New York

I was recently pulled over for making an illegal left turn. The officer asked for my license and insurance card. Now I never took out an insurance policy, the car isn't mine, it's in my friend's name. I was just borrowing it. However, his parents did take out an insurance policy on the car I was driving and it is still covered under that policy. My friend never put the insurance card in glove compartment so I was not able to show it to the officer. The officer then writes me two tickets: one for the illegal left turn and another for no insurance.
I should also point out that I do not have an insurance policy in my name since I do not own a car. What I need to know is does the fact that my friend's parents took out a policy on the car I was driving, is that enough to dismiss the ticket for no insurance? My name is not on the policy but the vehicle is clearly insured and it states it right on the insurance card.

The Occultist

You, as the operator of the vehicle, were responsible for ensuring that not only was the vehicle insured, but that proof of such (such as an insurance card) was within the vehicle. This was not the case, so you were [rightly] ticketed. If you show up to court with proof that the car was insured at the time of the stop (at this point, an insurance card might NOT suffice), then you may see some leniency from the court; although a possibility, do not expect a dismissal, but you can probably count on a reduction of the fine.

astrid

I should have mentioned that the officer did flat out say that if I do have insurance, I just need to submit proof of it and the ticket will be dismissed. I'm just trying to make sure that it doesn't matter that it's not my name on the insurance. The vehicle I was driving is insured and was insured at the time of the ticket, I just didn't have the card with me to prove it.

The Occultist

Um, insurance companies don't insure people, they insure vehicles. Although it's not recommended to follow legal advice from an officer at the time of stop, I do have to call a no-brainer on this one. (Carl, I am obviously excluding you from that statement!)

OP85063

This happens to me, I had my insurance card home.
All you need to do just mail in the ticket with proof that the car was insure at the time ticket was issue and they will dismiss that ticket. It's that simple, if you are going to show up in court for the illegal U turn, then you can take the proof of insurance and who it to the judge that the car have insurance you just didn't have it in the car at the time, and he will dismiss that there, as for the U turn one, dunno what will happen.

Good Luck

JamaalJ

This happens to me, I had my insurance card home.
All you need to do just mail in the ticket with proof that the car was insure at the time ticket was issue and they will dismiss that ticket. It's that simple, if you are going to show up in court for the illegal U turn, then you can take the proof of insurance and who it to the judge that the car have insurance you just didn't have it in the car at the time, and he will dismiss that there, as for the U turn one, dunno what will happen.

Good Luck

In california they charge a small processing fee. Just prove the car was insured at the time of the ticket to a clerk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">