• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was I properly served and can I have my name removed from the lawsuite?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

momoffive

What is the name of your state? California
My husband served his tenant a 3 day notice for not paying rent, then a U.D. She answered the noticed and has also filed a civil suite against us for $5000.00 for pain and suffering and lost wages (She works from home and chose to close her business while we were laying all new flooring in the rental that she herself picked out). She served my husband with a notice through our local sheriff, which after the third attempt, they left with me. I am not on the title on the house (he lived in the house before we were married six years ago), I am not on the business LLC., nor any of the banking account or credit cards. I did personally redo the landscaping at this rental with my children last summer and help to put all new flooring in the rental in January along with helping the tenant with redo the kitchen cabinets. On SC-100 the tenant lists me as a defendant, but she never served my personally. I confirmed with the sheriffs department themselves that if was only my husband that they were attempting to serve. This was correct. Can I request to be removed for this civil suite for not being properly served? Also, my husband does not have me on payroll when I do work for him, nor do I work outside the home for anyone else, so how could she recover anything from me if something should happen to my husband? Will I left being responsible for this debt if we were to lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">