• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father "borrowed" my 10,000$ interest...any case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sparkleroxy86

What is the name of your state? CA

Hello all! Two years ago when i was 19 My father asked if he could borrow my 10,000 $ inheritance I had just received. I did not want to but was threatened with being kicked out of the house.(was not ready to leave I know I should have) He needed it for a business venture and verbally agreed to pay me back almost immediantely with interest. So I took the money out of the CD i had it in. Well here it is two years later and not anything back....I have asked for even just a little back but no such luck. He is in bankruptcy now. My question is...I would like to sue him and would I have a case? I dont mind that he is my father he is a jerk and has been as for long as I remember. I am about to move out so now is a good time. Thanks for any help!

mommyof4

He is a jerk whose home you are still living in at the ripe old age of 21.

Sure, you can sue him. What proof do you have that you loaned him the money with the express agreement that he would pay you back?

How much rent have you paid in the last 3 years? I'm not about to suggest that it adds up to $10,000. Just expect Daddy Dearest to countersue for rent and expenses he has been paying in support of you. Of course, he will have the same issue you are going to have. Where is the PROOF that you were to be paying rent, utilities, food, insurance, etc.

sparkleroxy86

well....

well he didnt pay anything for rent or mortgage the house was paid off(by his late father) until he took out a huge mortgage which he also blew. He would not counter sue my mother would not let him plus she said I can live here rent free while in school. I hope I have a case thank u for ur advice!

CourtClerk

The only person who can determine whether you will win will be the person hearing your case.

With that being said, you are limited to $7500 in small claims court. So, if you do sue in small claims, you eat $2500 already.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If this really happened 2 years ago, your out of luck anyway. California has a 2 year Statute of Limitations on verbal contracts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">