• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exercising Spousal rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JPowers

What is the name of your state?
Indiana
My father recently passed away and did have a will. He had a small farm with house and buildings, a rental house, life insurance, and savings. He and mother divorced 30 years ago. His second wife and he married shortly after. She has children from a first marriage and I have brothers and sisters but they had no children together. His will stated that she would receive personal property and a life estate in the farm house. We have received notice that she is exercising her spousal right and is entitled to everything that is in both their names, $25,000 a year support, and 25% of anything only in his name. Is this accurate? Do we have any recourse?

JPowers

Thank you.

It just seems a shame that she and her children that don't even live in Indiana will get a portion of the land that was to stay in our family. Dad even had it specifically set out in his will that the land would be divided among his children. Makes you wonder why even set your wishes out in a will.

JPowers

Thank you.

It just seems a shame that she and her children that don't even live in Indiana will get a portion of the land that was to stay in our family. Dad even had it specifically set out in his will that the land would be divided among his children. Makes you wonder why even set your wishes out in a will.

VeronicaLodge

i dont mean to hijack, but did anyone else think based only upon the subject to this thread that it was going to be about sex? :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">