• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a Probate lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hoggie33770

Minnesota
My father died 2 days ago and had no will. I am his only heir, he wasn't married. There is property involved and I have heard that the Government will try and get something out of it. Do I need to hire a probate lawyer to make sure that I get what my father wanted me to have?

tranquility

While you don't need a lawyer, it will make things a lot easier. There will be forms to fill out and rules to follow and it's hard to do if you don't have experience or knowledge.

Dandy Don

What is the property, what is it worth, and how is it titled? Probate is certainly going to be needed no matter what it is.

aanubis

Minnesota
My father died 2 days ago and had no will. I am his only heir, he wasn't married. There is property involved and I have heard that the Government will try and get something out of it. Do I need to hire a probate lawyer to make sure that I get what my father wanted me to have?
You need to hire a reputable attorney to guide you in most cases, especially if there is property involved. With no will, you can't just decide you are the only heir. There is a process the court will require be followed to verify this and then appoint someone (you?) as administrator to follow through. Without a will, the court can't go on hearsay of what he "wanted" you to have.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">