• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whats the bottom line?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

By bad marriage

What is the name of your state? California

My ex inherited money and property from an uncle. At the time we were living beyond our means so we just bumped that up (He gave me a 55K car) with all this cash coming in. The money was wired to our joint checking/savings/moneymarket account over the course of a year. My ex had an account in his name only at the time, a work related credit union, but did not have the money wired to it. We met with an Attorney to draw up a Family Trust, ex proclaimed many times to him, me and our family that the money was as much mine as his. Ex is also a trustee in uncles family trust and worked with his two attorney uncles and Raymond James and read many books so he would know what he was doing. Some money was transfered to an account in my name only, with his (ex) knowledge and blessings, for my "retirement" as I was a stay at home Mom before we split up. The day ex was kicked out we went to the bank and removed money from our joint account into a cashiers check in my name only. This money went into my account to pay the house payment, etc, while he "got it togeather" We both drew out of our joint account to support two households, with me putting large amounts of cash back in and he his paycheck. Then he hired an attorney, said he never gave or agreed to any money being moved to my account and they started treating me like Bonnie Parker! (Bonnie & Clyde bank robbers). 1.) The inheritance was commingled for almost 2 years before we split up. 2.) Ex is/was educated and informed as inheritance was received. 3) My attorney fees and some living expenses have been paid out of the money for the last 2 and a half years of divorce war. With him and my attorney(s) knowing I was using that money. NOW ex wants all of his inherited money back to support his new sports car(s) and girlfriend only (not his child) and this means I owe him about 100K as he sees it. What is the bottom line on proof of commingling of the inherintance and his being informed (I gave his attorney bank statements showing the money coming into our joint account) Oh, and our home sold and he wants all of that profit, too. :eek:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? California

My ex inherited money and property from an uncle. At the time we were living beyond our means so we just bumped that up (He gave me a 55K car) with all this cash coming in. The money was wired to our joint checking/savings/moneymarket account over the course of a year. My ex had an account in his name only at the time, a work related credit union, but did not have the money wired to it. We met with an Attorney to draw up a Family Trust, ex proclaimed many times to him, me and our family that the money was as much mine as his. Ex is also a trustee in uncles family trust and worked with his two attorney uncles and Raymond James and read many books so he would know what he was doing. Some money was transfered to an account in my name only, with his (ex) knowledge and blessings, for my "retirement" as I was a stay at home Mom before we split up. The day ex was kicked out we went to the bank and removed money from our joint account into a cashiers check in my name only. This money went into my account to pay the house payment, etc, while he "got it togeather" We both drew out of our joint account to support two households, with me putting large amounts of cash back in and he his paycheck. Then he hired an attorney, said he never gave or agreed to any money being moved to my account and they started treating me like Bonnie Parker! (Bonnie & Clyde bank robbers). 1.) The inheritance was commingled for almost 2 years before we split up. 2.) Ex is/was educated and informed as inheritance was received. 3) My attorney fees and some living expenses have been paid out of the money for the last 2 and a half years of divorce war. With him and my attorney(s) knowing I was using that money. NOW ex wants all of his inherited money back to support his new sports car(s) and girlfriend only (not his child) and this means I owe him about 100K as he sees it. What is the bottom line on proof of commingling of the inherintance and his being informed (I gave his attorney bank statements showing the money coming into our joint account) Oh, and our home sold and he wants all of that profit, too. :eek:
What ex wants and what he will get are different things.

You'll each present your side - you show the evidence that the money was put into a joint account, some into an account in your name and so on. He will then present any evidence he might have that the money was not comingled. He's going to have a hard time winning that argument. He can ask for all the profit on our home, too. But, again, what he asks for may have no bearing on reality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">