• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would I win this suit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimmyjohns1234

What is the name of your state? Idaho.

I want to know if I have grounds to sue a roomate for rent. Here is the situation.
I live in an apt with 3 girls I purchased the lease I am in from a girl moving out of the apartment and took over her portion for the remaing of the lease with 2 other girls. I lived at the apartment for about 2 months when one of the girls became very angry with me and began writing nasty letters telling me she hated me and wanted me out. (this was odd because I had spoken maybe 2 words to the girl the entire time I had lived there) after I got the letters I spoke to her and she yelled and screamed and acted frankly very crazy telling me I was a terrible roomate and she wanted me out of the home ( of course she didn't put it so nicely.) I am getting married in May 2008 and the lease is up in June 2008 my plan was to live in the apartment till may and then try to find someone to take the last month if possible. Because of this girl I with my fiancee got an apt a month earlier in April rather than deal with the girl and I began to look for renters to purchase my lease. I found some interested girls but was informed by this roomate that she must approve of them before they could buy my lease. She also contacted the manager and had them call and tell me that this was the case. So I contacted the girl and left voicemails as she wouldnt answer her phone and informed her when the 2 different interested girls would be coming to check the place out. When I arrived a half hour before the girls were to arrive and asked the girl if she got my voicemail she said she had. then 5 min before the girls were to arrive this roomate got up and left the apt so she couldnt meet them. Consequently I had one girl interested in the apt but because we couldnt get the roomate to meet her this girl went elsewhere. Needless to say I had to pay for Mays rent because I was unable to get anybody in to see the apt when she would meet them. Well the other day I went to the apt to give the girl my May rent check and she had had another roomate move into the room I was paying for and she was in the process of moving her stuff between 2 rooms so basically I didn't have a room. So because of this girl the room I had cleaned and prepared to show to potential renters was being used. Not only that but there was no room to show and the girls explanation was you moved out and so it doesnt matter which room you have. I contacted the landlord but was told there was nothing they could do as it was a roomate dispute. I would like to file suit against this girl for may and junes rent as she is making it impossible for me to find a renter and therefore making it so I am stuck paying rent there and for my new apartment. I was wondering if I have grounds to do this or if it is a pointless venture to try to file suit with her. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Hot Topic

So you're paying your share of the rent to Miss Congeniality?

If she's your landlord by virtue of being allowed to sublet, she has to evict you through the courts.

It was your decision to rent another apartment in April. You're stuck for this month's rent and probably June's.

jimmyjohns1234

response

All 3 of our names are on the lease but to make it easier we all pay one girl and she pays for the apt through their online interface. So I'm not subleting from her... I do realize it was my choice to leave and I figured I may just be stuck paying I was hoping since she is making it impossible for me to find someone to take it over and leaving me with no remedy to the situation that she could be held liable for the rent since she is not allowing me anyway to get out of it.

seniorjudge

Q: Would I win this suit?

A: There is about a 50-50 chance, more or less. That's the same odds for anything happening in the universe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">