• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father past without Health or Life Insurance (Vietnam Vet)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

derrick001

Virginia, Hello my father past this year with out health or life insurance. He was a Vietnam Vet that had been getting his health care at the VA. He got sick and past out at his home, and the ambulance would not take him to the VA as the family requested and took him to the local hospital because he passed out. He past at the hospital a few days later and now has left and large hospital bill. He did have enough money in his bank to burry him but not to pay off the bills created from his stay in the hospital. I have not paid any of the creditors (only hospital bills) due to his bank account didn’t have enough money but he did own 50% of his home but I just feel that he didn’t work all of his life to save a little to leave behind but due to the way he past and where he pasted that he leaves nothing and have to sell his home to pay the hospital. I am the administrator to his estate and can use any advice to avoid loosing everything he worked for all these years? Also he had no will.What is the name of your state?

Dandy Don

Who owns the other 50% of the home? Are mortgage payments still being made on the home or is it owned free and clear?

momm2500

life insurance

first if your dad is at least 65, he would have medicare part A coverage that would at least cover the hospital bills. Second, contact the Department of Veteran affairs. Most Vets have a $10,000 life insurance policy!

aanubis

Virginia, Hello my father past this year with out health or life insurance. He was a Vietnam Vet that had been getting his health care at the VA. He got sick and past out at his home, and the ambulance would not take him to the VA as the family requested and took him to the local hospital because he passed out. He past at the hospital a few days later and now has left and large hospital bill. He did have enough money in his bank to burry him but not to pay off the bills created from his stay in the hospital. I have not paid any of the creditors (only hospital bills) due to his bank account didn’t have enough money but he did own 50% of his home but I just feel that he didn’t work all of his life to save a little to leave behind but due to the way he past and where he pasted that he leaves nothing and have to sell his home to pay the hospital. I am the administrator to his estate and can use any advice to avoid loosing everything he worked for all these years? Also he had no will.What is the name of your state?
Make sure the person who paid the funeral expenses files a VA compensation claim form. This is due to his having been seen in a VA hospital, it's possible for reimbursement of partial or full expenses. There are four things needed: the completed claim form, a certified copy of the death certificate, a copy of his DD214, and a statement of expenses signed by the funeral director as to who paid. Most vets, especially Vietnam Vets, do not have $10,000 life insurance as another poster suggested. It's possible and it's also possible they have more, but not in a majority of deaths.

I find it unclear if your mother is married to him at time of death. If she's 60 or older, she should file for social security death benefits, and if divorced, however married 10 or more years to him, then she should file.

If you have been appointed as administrator, then you should know by the court and law, that you have a duty and responsibility to pay all of his debts with whatever assets he has. This will be harsh. No one is entitled to inherit if there is nothing to inherit. You see 1/2 a house but want to disregard his debts and obligations. Responsibility is responsibility and the law will direct that debts must be paid. He had no obligation to leave anything to anyone, however he has an obligation to pay what he owed.

momm2500

my bad-since my dad was a vet i thought that all had the life insurance benefit.

here is the VA website for more information:

http://www.cem.va.gov/CEM/index.asp

Important Documents
To expedite benefits delivery, veterans seeking a VA benefit for the first time must submit a copy of their service discharge form (DD-214, DD-215, or for World War II veterans, a WD form), which documents service dates and type of discharge, or give their full name, military service number, and branch and dates of service. The veteran’s service discharge form should be kept in a safe location accessible to the veteran and next of kin or designated representative.

The following documents will be needed for claims processing related to a veteran’s death:

1. Veteran’s marriage certificate for claims of a surviving spouse or children.

2. Veteran’s death certificate if the veteran did not die in a VA health care facility.

3. Children’s birth certificates or adoption papers to determine children’s benefits.

4. Veteran’s birth certificate to determine parents’ benefits.

aanubis

momm2500 - It is sad that so many think vets get so much, when in reality, they get so little. Regarding the points you referenced, there is a lot more to them.

The following documents will be needed for claims processing related to a veteran’s death:
1. Veteran’s marriage certificate for claims of a surviving spouse or children.
2. Veteran’s death certificate if the veteran did not die in a VA health care facility.
3. Children’s birth certificates or adoption papers to determine children’s benefits.
4. Veteran’s birth certificate to determine parents’ benefits.

Before anyone gets excited these (especially #1) are a given, let me add just a little more

#1 this is only for dependent children and the spouse must have a low income to qualify. It is not automatic and not a given, other requirements must be met.

#2 this proves the death and shows the cause(s) so the VA can see if it is service connected in determining possible payment for funeral expenses

#3 see #1, children need to be dependents

#4 goes along with the dependency issue and very few parents are dependent upon on an adult child.

I am only adding a few tidbits, the entire formulation and all requirements are detailed and not that easy to navigate.

op - if you need more information on burial in a national cemetery, flag, military marker or honors, please post and I will keep typing. Most honorably discharged veterans are entitled to these items. A Vietnam vet is certainly entitled due to service period.

If you have been appointed as administrator, then you should know by the court and law, that you have a duty and responsibility to pay all of his debts with whatever assets he has. This will be harsh. No one is entitled to inherit if there is nothing to inherit. You see 1/2 a house but want to disregard his debts and obligations. Responsibility is responsibility and the law will direct that debts must be paid. He had no obligation to leave anything to anyone, however he has an obligation to pay what he owed.

That is, of course, exactly right.

The debts need to be paid. One of the other posters asked an important question about Medicare eligability, which would help tremendously.

After the debts are paid, your Mom will inherit what's left. We don't have enough details (value of house, Mom's income, etc), but you might investigate a home equity loan if you want to save the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">