• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

petty theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

damhill

I committed a petty theft in a store with $50 dollars or less worse of merchandise. They took down all my information, but didn't take me to the police. What will happen afterwards? This is the first time I have ever committed a crime under the law of Illinois at the age of 16.

Silverplum

I committed a petty theft in a store with $50 dollars or less worse of merchandise. They took down all my information, but didn't take me to the police. What will happen afterwards? This is the first time I have ever committed a crime under the law of Illinois at the age of 16.
As opposed to, say, in Maryland at the age of 15?

Raptoer

They can still report it to the police for quite some time afterwards. They can also sue for civil damages, or send a letter asking for money so that they don't sue you for civil damages.

Stay outta trouble and hopefully nothing will come of this. Next time you might not be so lucky. I would also suggest you stay out of that store if you can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">