• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving on a Revoked License out of state.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

what now

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania & Virginia

Yesterday I was involved in a car accident in Virginia, where I live. The other driver was found at fault, but I was driving on a revoked PA license.

In 2001 my license was REVOKED for DUI, set to be reinstated Oct '08.

Because I had my small children with me, in fear of getting carted off to jail, I lied to the officer, and told him I did not have my PA license on me. He was unable to verify it either way, so he gave me a summons to appear at court in May to show my license.

Obviously I need to be honest from this point forward, and I also need to get this finished as soon as possible. We are supposed to move across country in June (husband is military).

Looking at my paperowrk from PA, it says, "****WARNING: If you are convicted of driving while your license is suspended/revoked the penalties will be a MINIMUM of 90 days imprisionment AND a $1000 fine AND your driving privelege will be suspended/revoked for a MINIMUM 1 year period.****"

I spoke with a lawyer this morning, and she told me to just see if the summons was payable. I am failry certain it is not, as the box is not checked saying i can get out of the court date. She also said they would most likely charge me with driving w/o a license , and this would not go back to PA because they don't have the resources to look it up. That sounds too good to be true.

Any input?

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania & Virginia

Yesterday I was involved in a car accident in Virginia, where I live. The other driver was found at fault, but I was driving on a revoked PA license.

In 2001 my license was REVOKED for DUI, set to be reinstated Oct '08.

Because I had my small children with me, in fear of getting carted off to jail, I lied to the officer, and told him I did not have my PA license on me. He was unable to verify it either way, so he gave me a summons to appear at court in May to show my license.

Obviously I need to be honest from this point forward, and I also need to get this finished as soon as possible. We are supposed to move across country in June (husband is military).

Looking at my paperowrk from PA, it says, "****WARNING: If you are convicted of driving while your license is suspended/revoked the penalties will be a MINIMUM of 90 days imprisionment AND a $1000 fine AND your driving privelege will be suspended/revoked for a MINIMUM 1 year period.****"

I spoke with a lawyer this morning, and she told me to just see if the summons was payable. I am failry certain it is not, as the box is not checked saying i can get out of the court date. She also said they would most likely charge me with driving w/o a license , and this would not go back to PA because they don't have the resources to look it up. That sounds too good to be true.

Any input?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=407419

double post

Hey There

The Ball is in your court

5-2-08

what now

A driver when consulting with a lawyer needs to mention details including an accident even when the driver isn't at fault especially when driving without a licence in that state.
Did you do this?
A lawyer should be able to tell you what effect driving without a licence would probably have on the suspended licence in PA. and obtaining a driver's licence in the state you move to next and the fine for driving without a licence in VA. for an out-of-state driver.
According to your post you already have one opinion from a lawyer on that the charge from VA. will likely be (driving without a licence).
and the effect this will have on the revoked licence in PA.
If a driver thinks the information he has obtained from one lawyer
is incomplete the driver can always consult with another.
Google1. How to hire a lawyer for a traffic ticket violation
2. At a library a book on traffic tickets published by NOLO
has a section on hiring a lawyer .The librarian could also recommend what the library has on consulting with a lawyer.

Some lawyers will consult once for no fee or a modest fee.
When consulting with a lawyer a driver should ask for references,
the lawyer's experience with traffic tickets,and what the cost to the driver will be if the driver decides to have the lawyer handle his case.
What you decide to do is your call, but hopefully this information will assist you in making a decision on whether or not to engage a lawyer to represent you .

Keep us posted,
Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">