• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Judgment Debtor File for Bankruptcy to Avoid Garnishment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BaseballFan2004

What is the name of your state? OR

What is the name of your state? OR

I won a small claims judgment for $4800 and a judgment lien was created. I filled out and served garnishment papers on the debtor's employer.

The debtor is now telling me that if I don't stop the garnishment and agree to much lower monthly payments than what the garnishment would be, that I will never see a dime of the money I am owed.

The only possible way I can see the debtor making good on this threat is by filing bankruptcy or quitting their job. Is there another way that I could not begin to receive garnished wages very soon?

Can the debtor file for bankruptcy and have the judgment erased?

Can the debtor file for bankruptcy if their only debt is this judgment lien? Can someone file for bankruptcy when they owe less than $5000?

I am really feeling that the system is stacked against me here. I "played by the rules" and filed the small clams case, won the case, served the garnishment papers and I may actually end up getting nothing out of this?

Please tell me that the judgment debtor is just trying to bluff/scare me and that they can't just push a magic button and make my lien and the garnishment go away.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">