• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband has stopped direct deposit.Can he do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mszedwards

What is the name of your state? Florida
No papers have been filed at all and my husband has told me that he ceased direct deposit of his checks to our joint account. I have no other means of money as I am unemployed. Can he legally cut me off from funds I need to live before any divorce papers have been filed?

fairisfair

No papers have been filed at all and my husband has told me that he ceased direct deposit of his checks to our joint account. I have no other means of money as I am unemployed. Can he legally cut me off from funds I need to live before any divorce papers have been filed?
have you considered:eek::eek::eek:

getting a job of your OWN???

and yes, unless there is a court order prohibiting it, he can do what he wants with HIS paycheck.

nextwife

You, BTW, are not required to share your unemployment checks with him.

There are no laws that tell couples in a marriage what to do with their money. I don't touch my husband's checks and he doesn't touch mine. In the ABSENCE of a court order, you are both free to do as you wish.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Yes he can. However, if he doesn't provide you with any support and you are actively seeking a job, he's going to look bad before the judge.

Jill Jensen

Immediately file for divorce and file a motion for temporary spousal support. You do not mention whether you have children or not. If so, you can go to your county court house and file for child support. You should also find a job, but if you have been out of the work force and have been a dedicated stay at home mom - you may not have the job skills to get a job that will be able to aford you the ability to pay your mortgage and other living expenses. you may need to borrow money until the temporary motion for support is heard.

nextwife

Immediately file for divorce and file a motion for temporary spousal support. You do not mention whether you have children or not. If so, you can go to your county court house and file for child support. You should also find a job, but if you have been out of the work force and have been a dedicated stay at home mom - you may not have the job skills to get a job that will be able to aford you the ability to pay your mortgage and other living expenses. you may need to borrow money until the temporary motion for support is heard.

Hmmm. You know NOTHING about the marriage length, whether she is now voluntarilly unemployed, available assets or anything. For all we know they have a very short term marriage. You CANNOT know that temporary spousal support WILL be ordered. He may merely be ordered to cover certain marital debts or expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">