• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my divorce seems to be held to ransom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

springking

What is the name of your state?California
November 2007 , my hopefully soon to be ex wife, and I hashed out the custody, support etc. Both our lawyers were present, we all signed it, and we were going to get the final judgment from the judge , well the judge had to go to lunch. The lawyers said they would prepare the docs, and have them filed for the final judgment, I waited around for about 3 weeks, then called my attorney, he informed me that opposing council refused to finsh her paper work, because her client my ex, had not paid her. So here I am months later, I paid my lawyer the thousands he demanded, and cant get divorced. My attorney wants more money to prepare the documents needed to finalize my divorce . Does anyone know if I can do the document preparation myself, and what the documents are. My attorney subed out .So I dont have to do a substitution. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state?California
November 2007 , my hopefully soon to be ex wife, and I hashed out the custody, support etc. Both our lawyers were present, we all signed it, and we were going to get the final judgment from the judge , well the judge had to go to lunch. The lawyers said they would prepare the docs, and have them filed for the final judgment, I waited around for about 3 weeks, then called my attorney, he informed me that opposing council refused to finsh her paper work, because her client my ex, had not paid her. So here I am months later, I paid my lawyer the thousands he demanded, and cant get divorced. My attorney wants more money to prepare the documents needed to finalize my divorce . Does anyone know if I can do the document preparation myself, and what the documents are. My attorney subed out .So I dont have to do a substitution. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
If everything has been negotiated, it's probably easier in the long run just to pay your attorney to do the paperwork. You can ask the judge for that part of your legal expense, but I don't know if you'll get it or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">