• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband is using a lawyer that represented me for our divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistoffolees

TX Can he use a lawyer that represented me?
You'd need to be more specific. If the attorney represented you on a speeding ticket, for example, there wouldn't be a conflict of interest. OTOH, if the attorney has access to any significant personal information, there might be.

So when did he represent you and for what?

If there's a conflict, I don't think your husband can be penalized. It's the attorney who is doing something wrong. The solution might be as simple as sending the attorney a note reminding him that he represented you and that you consider it a conflict of interest for him to represent your husband. You might even send a copy of the letter to the state bar if you're sure it's not an innocent mistake.

shookup

My lawyer knows me inside and out

He represented me in a tampering with a witness case in which I was not guilty. A long drawn out trial. My husband paid him 10k. He represented me. He knows everything there is to know about me and can use it against me.

penelope10

He represented me in a tampering with a witness case in which I was not guilty. A long drawn out trial. My husband paid him 10k. He represented me. He knows everything there is to know about me and can use it against me.
Did you perhaps not tamper with this witness for your STBX's benefit?

shookup

I was found not guilty!

I am not the one who lied. My husband knows my entire family and friends. I have called the police and they have done nothing as I expected. I guess I loose my pictures and my valueables and he gets away with it... I call his attorney and he is never in the office now?

mistoffolees

I would suggest a certified letter to him with a copy to the State Bar stating that since he represented you in the past there is a conflict of interest in him representing your husband. Given the circumstances, I'm not sure it's going to fly, though.

LdiJ

I would suggest a certified letter to him with a copy to the State Bar stating that since he represented you in the past there is a conflict of interest in him representing your husband. Given the circumstances, I'm not sure it's going to fly, though.
Personally, I think its a definite conflict of interest, therefore I think you should take the above advice, however, if a case has already been filed, I would include a copy of the letter for the court file as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">