• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car selling issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TCool

What is the name of your state? WI

I hope I got this in the right forum...

Here is the deal: I'm posting on behalf of my dads gf who does not currently have internet. So what happened is, she sold her car to her sons gf for $8,500. When her sons gf came to pick of the car and drop off a cashiers check she was informed by my dads gf that she did not know where the title was at the moment and asked her to wait til the next day to do the transaction. The buyer told her she would rather just take the car immediately, so seller agreed and then dropped off the title with buyer the next day.

A couple days later buyer called and said she no longer wanted the car and put a stop on the cashiers check. Seller had already spent some of the money to pay off bills and is now facing over draft charges because bank removed that money from her account (they were under the impression you couldn't put a stop on a cashiers check--guess they were wrong). Buyer claimed she did this because she did not recieve title right away, but she did agree to it working this way.

My question is, can the buyer just basically force them into a refund like this? If they took her to court could they force her to pay for the car she purchased from them, or do they have no legal recourse? I should mention, that the check was stopped Thursday, and currently they do not have the car back. Also, is this worth fighting over or should they just go take the car back and not worry about it?

I'll just apologize in advance, because I'm sure there is a ton of relevant information missing and a bunch of irrelevant stuff. So, sorry, please work with me (I am what you call "really really stupid" when it comes to law). :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">