• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolve Cuban marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alisongr

Florida/California/

My daughter, an American citizen, married a Cuban national in a civil marriage in Cuba several years ago. The marriage didn't take, they never lived together. At the time he had a pregnant girl friend in Cuba which she discovered right after the marriage. She is a resident of California. He has made his way to the US and presently lives in Florida, and has sent word he wants to dissolve the marriage. I am sure he has no funds, and she has none to spare either, barely getting by.
1. Is the marriage legal?
2. Can he get a no-fault divorce in Florida, no strings attached, with the help perhaps of legal aid?
She is perfectly willing to sign off on anything to get out of the marriage, as long as it doesn't cost her anything. No children, no joint assets. But she is working in her own business which is still in the red, and she doesn't want any claim against it from him.
Thanks for any pointers you can give us. Alison

LdiJ

Florida/California/

My daughter, an American citizen, married a Cuban national in a civil marriage in Cuba several years ago. The marriage didn't take, they never lived together. At the time he had a pregnant girl friend in Cuba which she discovered right after the marriage. She is a resident of California. He has made his way to the US and presently lives in Florida, and has sent word he wants to dissolve the marriage. I am sure he has no funds, and she has none to spare either, barely getting by.
1. Is the marriage legal?
2. Can he get a no-fault divorce in Florida, no strings attached, with the help perhaps of legal aid?
She is perfectly willing to sign off on anything to get out of the marriage, as long as it doesn't cost her anything. No children, no joint assets. But she is working in her own business which is still in the red, and she doesn't want any claim against it from him.
Thanks for any pointers you can give us. Alison
How did your daughter manage to get married in Cuba? Ordinary American citizens haven't been able to travel to Cuba for a long time....and I would think that there would be some MASSIVE red tape for an American Citizen to get a marriage license in Cuba.:confused:

In any case, the US recognizes any marriage that takes place legally under the laws of any country. Therefore, if they were legally married in Cuba, they are legally married as far as the US is concerned.

Yes, they could get a no fault, no strings attached divorce if that is what both of them want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">