• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They are avoiding summons delivery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

treeguy3

Florida: I'm tried to get a summons delived for someone for small claims court, but they are avoiding. What can I do? Newspaper seems expensive compared to the amount I'm suing for.

Welcome to the world of debt collection, where it often seems like the debtors get all the advantages.

Avoiding service of process is a common issue. You must serve them as required by your state; most states have a process for substituted service if you can't serve them personally. You may have to seek the court's permission for substituted service.

dcatz

Texas Pooh is correct. This is where the rubber meets the road.

But, in your state, substituted service is acceptable, and you can make service in Small Claims using certified mail, the Sheriff/Marshal or a registered process server. None of these work? (They're not evading; they're hiding.) A process server can do a stakeout if it's worth the money.

Your problem is only "Part A". If they are that hard to serve, have you worked out a sure plan for enforcement? That's "Part B", and it's going to harder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">