• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

division of communitive property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tazz08

What is the name of your state? texas since texas is a 50/50 state, i need to obtain info. my soon to be exwife sold all of my power tools & the accesories that goes with them. so my question is am i entitled to 50% of the money she received for them? also, what type of forms would i need to file with the court to make sure that she will be held liable for this devious action?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It should be included in your property settlement. What does your attorney say?

tazz08

i haven't obtained a layer at this time. will a standard contested divorce form be sufficeint

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The tools are half hers to sell...what makes this so "devious?"
Speak to an attorney - for a consultation at a bare minimum.

tazz08

because these are tools of my trade. that is what makes it so devious.

Last edited:

penelope10

because these are tools of my trade. that is what makes it so devious.
You need to find a way to legally protect your half of the marital estate NOW. The best way to do this is 'get thee to an attorney's office NOW. In other words get yourself an attorney, like yesterday.

nextwife

The tools are half hers to sell...what makes this so "devious?"
Speak to an attorney - for a consultation at a bare minimum.
That may not be so. Anything PRE-owned that was brought to the marriage is still individual property. So they may NOT have been "half hers". Even in community property states, one's spouse does NOT become automatic half owner of everything you owned coming into the marriage.

penelope10

Why were they in her control?
Cause he didn't take the stuff with him when he left. And dang, now the reality of this whole divorce thing is setting in. Unfortunately lots of STBXs sometimes get this sudden jolt of reality that their spouse may no longer be acting in their best interest. ;)

My ex was this way. You would have thought the old boy would have figured out I was a little miffed over some of things he did that caused me to get a divorce. Left a bunch of stuff at our house . I could have really nailed him, but I didn't. (Not everybody operates with the same values though).:D

Silverplum

He didn't say they had even seperated. Maybe she helped herself in anticipation of divorce.
That could very well be.

But it's hard to take and sell, say, a plumber's tools while he's using them. Garage/tool sales don't normally happen in the dark of night.

;)

penelope10

That could very well be.

But it's hard to take and sell, say, a plumber's tools while he's using them. Garage/tool sales don't normally happen in the dark of night.

;)
Maybe it was a case of "Darn, now where did I put that wrench?" Next day, "I thought I just bought a new plumber's snake." TeeHee, I'm gonna stop now cause I'm just being silly....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">