• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

exhibition of acceleration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B_Ott

What is the name of your state? Colorado

About one week ago I received a ticket for exhibition of speed/acceleration. On the ticket it stated
City of Fort Collins Traffic Code Section- 1105(2) or it could be 1105(z) I am not sure
Fine- 125.00
Surcharge- 35.00
Points- 5
Com. Code-017
Then there is a empty box that states exhibition of acceleration or speed

The officer checked penalty assessment which gave me the chance to call or mail in the money and have the ticket dropped to 3 points if I paid the fine. So I called in about two days ago to find out that I have to come in to court. I got curious on why I would have to go to court so I looked up the penalty, exhibition of acceleration, and found that it is actually a 12 point ticket. I was wondering if for one could still be a 5 point ticket, and two if they have the right to change the points up to 12 points once I arrive to court? If they do try to change to 12 points can I fight the ticket for the lack of accuracy? or the fact that at the time of the ticket I did not agree to a 12 point ticket?

B_Ott

My goal is not to fight it. My goal is to keep the ticket as the officer had stated which was 5 points that will drop to 3. Do you believe it is likely that the court will change the officers ticket from 5 points to 12?

Hey There

B_Ott
Here's Section 1105
1105. Speed contests, exhibition of speed - immobilization.

(1) No person shall engage in any motor vehicle speed contest on a street or highway, and no person shall aid or abet in any such motor vehicle speed contest on any street or highway.

2) No person shall engage in any motor vehicle speed exhibition on a street or highway, and no person shall aid or abet in any such motor vehicle speed exhibition on any street or highway.

(a) For purposes of this Section, speed exhibition shall mean the operation of a motor vehicle to present a display of speed or power. Speed exhibition includes, but is not limited to, squealing the tires of a motor vehicle while it is stationary or in motion, rapid acceleration, rapid swerving or weaving in and out of traffic, producing smoke from tire slippage or leaving visible tire acceleration marks on the surface of the roadway or ground.

(3) No person shall, for the purpose of facilitating or aiding or as an incident to any motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition upon a street or highway, in any manner obstruct or place any barricade or obstruction or assist or participate in placing any such barricade or obstruction upon any street or highway.

Go to Google and type in Ft. Collins Traffic Code.

Click on City Codes & Charter: City of Fort CollinsThe Fort Collins Municipal Code and Charter, Fort Collins Land Use Code, and Fort Collins Traffic Code (the "Codes") are provided on the web as a community ...
www.ci.fort-collins.co.us/cityclerk/codes.php
OR
Colorado Code Publishing Company - Fort Collins Traffic CodeThe Fort Collins Traffic Code is provided on this website as a public service of the City of Fort Collins, Colorado. This Internet version of the Fort ...
www.colocode.com/ftcollins/traffic/fortcollins_traffic.htm - 538k

Com. Code-017 (Check Section 17)

Both sites have iidentical nformation on court rules in Ft. Collins

Scroll to Section 17 and click on 1701--1702-- 1705--1707--1708--1709--1710--1711-- and 1715--1716.

For information on what constitutes a defective ticket Speeding Ticket FAQ has a section that describes what a material defect is and when it is likely to cause a ticket to be dismissed (Scroll to
Will errors on the ticket result in the charges being dropped? )
The driver has a limited number of choices when cited for a traffic ticket. These are to
Pay the bail admitting guilt.
Plead guilty
Plead Nolo Contende (a guilty plea basically)
Plead Not Guilty
I've never heard of a cited driver being able to subtitute one charge for another.
Some lawyers will consult for one time for free or a modest fee.
Those that do should state that in their add in the yellow pages.

Good luck with this,
Regards,
Hey There

Last edited:

jill hopcroft

What is the name of your state? Colorado

About one week ago I received a ticket for exhibition of speed/acceleration. On the ticket it stated
City of Fort Collins Traffic Code Section- 1105(2) or it could be 1105(z) I am not sure
Fine- 125.00
Surcharge- 35.00
Points- 5
Com. Code-017
Then there is a empty box that states exhibition of acceleration or speed

The officer checked penalty assessment which gave me the chance to call or mail in the money and have the ticket dropped to 3 points if I paid the fine. So I called in about two days ago to find out that I have to come in to court. I got curious on why I would have to go to court so I looked up the penalty, exhibition of acceleration, and found that it is actually a 12 point ticket. I was wondering if for one could still be a 5 point ticket, and two if they have the right to change the points up to 12 points once I arrive to court? If they do try to change to 12 points can I fight the ticket for the lack of accuracy? or the fact that at the time of the ticket I did not agree to a 12 point ticket?
my son has just got the exact same ticket what street were you on, also what was the name of the police officer

jill hopcroft

Hi My son just got exactly the same ticket 5 points reduced to 3 what street were you driving on & what was the name of the officer, it seems to me they are taking a very serious offence & modifying it???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">