• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newly Married, left Will but did not name beneficiaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jan5156

What is the name of your state? Maine

My question has to do with my recently deceased father. My father had just married a person he knew for less than a year. My father had terminal cancer and had a will in place. He had FEGLI life insurance and a substantial Thrift Savings Account, however he did not designate beneficiaries on any of his paperwork. He had always thought his will was how his estate would be handled.

He was remarried only 3 weeks before he entered the hospital and was in and out of the hospital until he passed away 6 months later. He was not capable of taking care of himself during his illness. Knowing that his spouse was not named, he did however specifically tell me and my siblilings what he wanted for his new spouse after he was gone, and we assured him we would make sure she received what he wanted her to have.

What do I have to do to ensure that the new spouse does not receive the Life Insurance and the Thrift Savings Account? Both of which he meant for his children and grandchildren. Spouse understands this and does not object. Are there cases that are similar to this and where can I find help?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Talk to a local probate attorney to see if the spouse could/would file a disclaimer form giving up a portion of the monies. Sure would have made things easier if father would have named beneficiaries on each of the assets outside of the will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">