• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce in michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uncalled4

What is the name of your state? MI

Hi. I'm hoping that someone could help me out with some of these...

1) We have 2 children. My daughter is not his biological daughter. Our son is. He never adopted my daughter. We all have insurance through his job. How is insurance going to change? Is there any way that my daughter can stay under his insurance for some time after we get the divorce? Will I be able to stay under his insurance for some time after the divorce? I've heard that it happens sometimes, and wanted to know if that's true. I know that our son will stay on under his insurance.

2) If I have the children more than half of the time, will he owe me child support? (He still wants to be a part of my daughters life. It doesn't matter to him if she is his bio daughter or not. He's been her Dad for 6+ years) If we have them for equal amounts of time, what then? Will will no one owe child support?

3) How do the courts usually divide up assets?

4) What about debts? If he or I have a credit card in our own name, the other person isn't responsible for that debt , are they?

5) My husband keeps on "wanting to talk" during pick ups and drop offs. I tell him that it's not the time. But, he proceeds to pick and pick. I try to give short answers. But, it just fuels the fire,so to speak, no matter how I respond. How can I avoid this.

6) What sort of mediator do you suggest? We are unable to have a discussion without it going out of control. I want to stay on topic so that we're just discussing the things we need to (time with the children, dividing up assets and what not). I'm thinking that maybe we should be to the counselor that we had been seeing. But, maybe I should go through someone who has more knowledge about divorce? I don't know....

I think that's all for now. Although I'm sure there will be plenty more in the near future.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Silverplum

1) We have 2 children. My daughter is not his biological daughter. Our son is. He never adopted my daughter. We all have insurance through his job. How is insurance going to change? Is there any way that my daughter can stay under his insurance for some time after we get the divorce? Will I be able to stay under his insurance for some time after the divorce? I've heard that it happens sometimes, and wanted to know if that's true. I know that our son will stay on under his insurance.
Not to my knowledge.
It's generally up to the insurance company, not the Court, as to whether or not they will carry a non-relative. And generally, they won't.

LdiJ

Ditto what silver said.

2) If I have the children more than half of the time, will he owe me child support? (He still wants to be a part of my daughters life. It doesn't matter to him if she is his bio daughter or not. He's been her Dad for 6+ years) If we have them for equal amounts of time, what then? Will will no one owe child support?
It doesn't matter how your daughter's time is divided, because she will not be a factor in the child support calculation. Even in a true 50/50 situation, generally the higher income parent ends up paying some child support.

3) How do the courts usually divide up assets?
Marital assets (assets that accrued during the marriage) are generally divided 50/50.

4) What about debts? If he or I have a credit card in our own name, the other person isn't responsible for that debt , are they?
Marital debts (debts that accrued during the marriage) are also generally divided 50/50. However, the creditors are not parties to your divorce, therefore they will only go after the person who signed the credit application.

5) My husband keeps on "wanting to talk" during pick ups and drop offs. I tell him that it's not the time. But, he proceeds to pick and pick. I try to give short answers. But, it just fuels the fire,so to speak, no matter how I respond. How can I avoid this.
Tell him that you don't feel that its appropriate to discuss the issues in front of the children. If that doesn't work, then consider having someone else assist you with the exchanges.

6) What sort of mediator do you suggest? We are unable to have a discussion without it going out of control. I want to stay on topic so that we're just discussing the things we need to (time with the children, dividing up assets and what not). I'm thinking that maybe we should be to the counselor that we had been seeing. But, maybe I should go through someone who has more knowledge about divorce? I don't know....
A mediator is generally someone that must be approved by the court. The counselor that you have been seeing is generally not someone that a court would consider to be a "mediator". Mediators are trained to help keep negotiations "on topic" and in accordance with the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">