• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I legally married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lenalb

Illinois
If I married a person in Illinois in 1990 and that person was already married in California in 1980 to a person who later died in 2004, am I still legally married to this individual?

lenalb

more help

where did you find the info in Google? I no longer want to be married to this person. Wnat can I do?

lenalb

illegally married

It just seems wrong that because the other spouse died that this person is NOT guilty of bigamy.

lenalb

illegally married

Why do I have to pay for a divorce for a person who married me illegally? Wasn't there a crime committed here somewhere?

lenalb

negative, you can't go just get married again....didn't you just ask if a crime had been commited? wouldnt you doing the same thing, be a crime? .....you've been married 18 years, um yeah, why now all of a sudden do you want a divorce??? and are there children involved, and did you know he was married at the time, and are you sure he wasn't divorced, and how did you even find out about the spouse or her subsequent death? ok, i'm sure someone will have better questions, but i have a feeling a few of those ?'s i asked above will be asked so you'd be better off just answering now....and technically you're marriage *could* be void, but as long as it's been, you'd be better off going for a divorce, cos i know *if* i were a judge, and you'd been married 18 years and JUST NOW apparently found out about a spouse who died 14 years AFTER you were married, i'd be a little skeptical....rather than fight all this fraud crap, just go file divorce, take the time you need to do it etc.....i don't think they would void a marriage that has lasted this long, nor grant you an annulment either.....

also

i can tell you now, that with the "illegally married" and little smiles you keep putting up, oh wow.....

from personal experience(and i've never done that much repeating, esp after *I* post), you're gonna catch hell for being repetitive....which is possibly why you haven't got more answers.....good luck though!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">