• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resposinsible for debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lstinnett

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I have been married for less than 1 year but we have charged up over $30,000. in credit card debt. He is an authorized user on my accounts. Will he be responsible for what he charged if we get divorced? Can I have it written in the divorce & what happens if he does not pay? Can his wages be garnished?

VeronicaLodge

you are alone responsible to teh credit card company as he is merely an authorized user and not a responsible party to them. in a divorce your debts will be split and he may be ordered to pay half or even more of that debt however the credit card company is not a party to the divorce and not subject to the court order so if he doesnt pay it as ordered by the court, you will still have to pay it. then you can take him to court for contempt or sue him for the money he owes and if you win a judgment you can have wages garnished.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">