• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien Forclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cruiseman

Hi , My name is Pat, I'm in Cape Coma(Coral) FL. , The builder after finishing my house put a Lien on my property for additional dirt he said he used to build my house for extra 6k , I filed a contest of lien in which he had 60 days to enforce the lien he filed a small claims forclosure in civil court 66 days later. My 1st question: is it LEGAL for him to file the forclosure outside the 60 day contest of lien window ?

Also, I haven't been at the property very much and it looks like they have made two attemps to deliver the certified mail but I haven't signed for anything and it has been inactive since Jan 31st. My 2nd question: If I don't sign for the certified mail can I still be held accountable or can they still force the lien and judgement against me ?

My house is being short-saled and I'm not getting any assistance from the bank , I've had 2 contracts sent in over 2 month ago and no one from the short sale department was ever assigned to it in the work-out department. :mad:My 3rd question: Now If I just do a deed in lieu of forclosure can I just give the keys back the bank and will the lien from the builder dissolve ?

P.S. Can I Counter sue the builder as well ??

Thanks In Advance for ANY Help in this F@cked up situation.:eek:

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: My 1st question: is it LEGAL for him to file the forclosure outside the 60 day contest of lien window ?

A: It may or may not be; the court will give you the final answer.

Q: My 2nd question: If I don't sign for the certified mail can I still be held accountable or can they still force the lien and judgement against me ?

A: Yes.

Q: My 3rd question: Now If I just do a deed in lieu of forclosure can I just give the keys back the bank and will the lien from the builder dissolve ?

A: No. A deed in lieu does not wipe out junior liens. In fact, the mechanic's lien may be a SENIOR lien. (I don't know the laws in your state on this point.)

Q: Can I Counter sue the builder as well ??

A: Anyone may sue anybody for anything at any time for any reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">