• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deceased mother's trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wrightstyles

What is the name of your state? illinois. my mother just died, and my estranged brother is the trustee and had power of attorney. i am located in nevada, and she lived in chicago. i know this is not a do it yourself situation, but she left me some money in her will and some in her trust. he got a reverse mortgage last year, since she's been unable to handle her affairs for a few years. question: having power of attorney, does he have the power to change her will? question:what rights do i have to ask for an accounting? question: who determines when to distribute funds or assets? last, i need to find a lawyer in chicago to represent me, i assume a probate lawyer. what's the best way to find one. i had one there last year,and he took my retainer, and did absolutely nothing for weeks, until my position, and timing of my advantage had passed. i don't want that to happen again.
would be grateful for any help.
jerryc

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Can't vouch for Illinois specifically, but a power of attorney can't change a will in most places.

He can't do anything with the POA once she died.
He can act on the trust as trustee as expressed in the trust documents. As a beneficiary you are entitled to a copy of these if you don't already have them.
He may also be the executor of the will, but that will be conferred usually through the probate court.

Find out what county she was in (If it was inside Chicago, that would be cook). Look up the number for the County bar association and explain to them what you need. They will most likely be able to give you some referrals.

Dandy Don

At this point you do not need an attorney. Just relax--the executor is now in the process of managing the affairs of the estate and it will take a few weeks to get everything going. Normally the will is filed at the county courthouse probate court within 30-60 after the death. So you can regularly check the online court records for Cook County to see if and when anything has been filed, and you will also be receiving notification by mail by the executor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">