• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My roommate didnt pay the gas bill and is leaving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hdusonsbh

denton, tx
I got a text message from my roomate saying that he is leaving friday and that the gas is being turned off so, if I want it I need to get it reconnected. This is the only utility that is in his name and it has only been in his name for less than a month. He came to me and asked for my share of the bill and I gave it to him, now I find out that he didnt pay the bill and it has been shut off because of it. He refuses to pay the bill and the reconnection fee. I asked him what was going on and he said that he is moving to lubbock to be with his girlfriend and that his friend is taking over his lease. Can he just shut off the gas like that when it controls the hot water and heat? Can I sue him for not paying it and not giving my money back? Do I have to pay the reconnection fee (its like 300$) please help me.
48 minutes ago - 3 days left to answer.
Additional Details
21 minutes ago

I cant afford to pay the rest of my lease and leave cus I have 3 months left. We are both on the lease, but if one moves out the other is still responsible for that persons part of the rent which is 400 each, 800 total. The landlord told us the utilities had to be our responsibility so they had to be in one/ both of our names. i took care of the cable, internet, and electricity/ water and asked my roommate to take care of the gas. I called the company and they said inorder for it to be turned back on the past bill has to be paid in full and there is a 250$ reconnection fee even if I want to put it in my name. Can I sell his stuff to pay the bill if he leaves it here? also he says he is leaving friday should I get his half of all the bills now (it would be an estimate cus the bills dont come til the 16th) or wait and try and get it later?

Dandy Don

Talk to the utility company (without identifying yourself) and ask if there is a local social service agency or a program at the utility company for special applicants to apply for financial assistance in getting a utility bill paid or for a person to make special arrangements to pay the bill in an installment plan. I think that selling your roommate's belongings is an excellent idea to come up with the cash--even if he sued you in small claims court he wouldn't win since he put you in a hardship position, and I think he feels guilty enough that he probably won't mind you selling his stuff. What a sad excuse for a human being!!

tanja53

denton, tx
I got a text message from my roomate saying that he is leaving friday and that the gas is being turned off so, if I want it I need to get it reconnected. This is the only utility that is in his name and it has only been in his name for less than a month. He came to me and asked for my share of the bill and I gave it to him, now I find out that he didnt pay the bill and it has been shut off because of it. He refuses to pay the bill and the reconnection fee. I asked him what was going on and he said that he is moving to lubbock to be with his girlfriend and that his friend is taking over his lease. Can he just shut off the gas like that when it controls the hot water and heat? Can I sue him for not paying it and not giving my money back? Do I have to pay the reconnection fee (its like 300$) please help me.
48 minutes ago - 3 days left to answer.
Additional Details
21 minutes ago

I cant afford to pay the rest of my lease and leave cus I have 3 months left. We are both on the lease, but if one moves out the other is still responsible for that persons part of the rent which is 400 each, 800 total. The landlord told us the utilities had to be our responsibility so they had to be in one/ both of our names. i took care of the cable, internet, and electricity/ water and asked my roommate to take care of the gas. I called the company and they said inorder for it to be turned back on the past bill has to be paid in full and there is a 250$ reconnection fee even if I want to put it in my name. Can I sell his stuff to pay the bill if he leaves it here? also he says he is leaving friday should I get his half of all the bills now (it would be an estimate cus the bills dont come til the 16th) or wait and try and get it later?
Try to talk to a church. They have funds and do help a lot of people in need with bills.
Good luck .

PepperJo

I think you can get help at some of the organizations like Salvation Army or Catholic Charitys as well as churchs.

I hope everyone who shares a lease or rent will take precautions to protect themselves before they sign a lease rental with anyone.

If you every watch any of the Judge court programs on t.v. you will see this is a big problem that people deal with. They have horror stories sometimes and peoples credit is sometimes ruined. (I'm a night owl and sometimes watch these programs)

It would be worth the money to see an Attorney and ask for legal ways you can protect yourself in a lease/rental agreement with another person.

Better to put out a little money for the Attorney consult rather than end up with big money problems or ruined credit later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">