• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support question??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacob333

What is the name of your state? Ohio

In a dissolution of marrige in ohio, can we agree on the amount of child support that will be paid, or does the court always go by their formula no matter what?

I cought my wife cheating, and have evidence of it....We can, and will agree on everything for an uncontested divorce (dissolution), which is easier to get done....but would it benifit me to try an at-fault divorce, in reguards to child-support?

We agree on everything with the kids, and she would never take my boys away from me, so would child support be cheaper if we shared physical custody, rather then give her custody?
Thanks to anyone who can help!!

JacobWhat is the name of your state?

LdiJ

In a dissolution of marrige in ohio, can we agree on the amount of child support that will be paid, or does the court always go by their formula no matter what?

I cought my wife cheating, and have evidence of it....We can, and will agree on everything for an uncontested divorce (dissolution), which is easier to get done....but would it benifit me to try an at-fault divorce, in reguards to child-support?

We agree on everything with the kids, and she would never take my boys away from me, so would child support be cheaper if we shared physical custody, rather then give her custody?

No, an "at fault" divorce would not help as far as child support is concerned. If alimony was on the table it might effect alimony, but not child support.

Sharing physical custody does not necessarily change anything in regards to child support. The actual timeshare might, but the impact might not be as great as you would expect.

You can google for an online child support calculator for Ohio, and run the numbers yourself.

The cost of a contested or at fault divorce should also factor into your calculations as well. If it costs you 10 grand to fight a contested or at fault divorce, and it saves you 100.00 a month in child support...it would take you 100 months or 8.33 years, just to recoup the legal fees, before you would see any benefits from the savings.

Your children will also be happier if you are not fighting over them.

So, take all these things into consideration.

Fault has nothing to do with CS and your children were certainly not AT FAULT. Ohio is a shared income CS State anyways. It sounds like you are trying to get free advice here on how to short change your kids.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You can agree to an amount of child support below the guidelines or above the guidelines. But you have to have a reason in the paperwork as to why there is a deviation. Time is taken into consideration HOWEVER there are cases where in a 50/50 timeshare child support is paid. And if one party is receiving aid (medical or food stamps or other) it is best to agree to a downward deviation rather than nothing at all.

jacob333

Fault has nothing to do with CS and your children were certainly not AT FAULT. Ohio is a shared income CS State anyways. It sounds like you are trying to get free advice here on how to short change your kids.
No No...My boys are my life...I would never try to short change them, I just simply can not afford any more then $400 a month, and my wife understands that, and is willing to agree with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">