• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Licence plate transfer violation, what should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shinedalgano

What is the name of your state?
Delaware
I am a student in Delaware my car has out of state valid plates and insured, it broke down car a week ago so I borrowed a friend’s car to use while my car was at the shop. Since my friend’s car tags were expired, I decided to use my valid plates on his car. The car is insured by her, she has registration but expired

I got a ticket for:
1. Fictitious or cancelled registration card, number plate or tag
2. Operating unregistered vehicle
3. Out of state car- failure to have minimum insurance

The officer was nice and asked me to try my best to put things in order before appearing to court, I just don’t know where to start. Your help would be highly appreciated. Thanks

JETX

The officer was nice and asked me to try my best to put things in order before appearing to court, I just don’t know where to start. Your help would be highly appreciated.
Actually, you do NOT need to provide the statute cite for the violations.

Your option is simple... you knowingly 'gambled' that you could get away with breaking the law. You got caught. Now, be an adult and accept the consequences of YOUR decision and conduct.
Pay the fines... and learn from this.

xylene

. Since my friend’s car tags were expired, I decided to use my valid plates on his car.
Plates are not transferable in that manner.

Was the friend vehicle a delaware vehicle? You must apply for such a transfer. You can't 'just do it.'

If the vehicle was not a delaware car (as is implied) you CANNOT affix Del. plates without titling the vehicle in Del.

The car is insured by her, she has registration but expired.
Was the car insured? You contradict yourself.

Expired registration basically is unregistered

I got a ticket for:
1. Fictitious or cancelled registration card, number plate or tag
Your statement here indicates this charge is valid. Your plate and tag on another car.

2. Operating unregistered vehicle
The vehicle is uniregistered. Your unexpired tag does not mean a thing. Your were using your tag illegally to cover up this offense.

3. Out of state car- failure to have minimum insurance
Was there sufficient insurance or no? If yes, you have a possible defense to this charge.

Bring proof of the vehicles insured status as valid for Del.
Were you carrying such proof in the car?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">