• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment after three weeks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daddysgirl215

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Can my husband get an annulment after only three weeks of marriage because he doesn't think our personalities match? (FYI I'm eight weeks pregnant.)

las365

Two minutes on Google yielded this form a Maryland attorney's website:

Where a marriage was void or voidable from the outset, the court may grant an annulment declaring the marriage to be invalid. A marriage contract is void if, at the time of the ceremony, either party was still legally married to another person, if the parties were related to each other by birth or marriage within the prohibited degrees, or if one of the parties was legally insane or otherwise mentally incompentent to enter the contract. Although a void marriage was never valid and cannot be made so, a ruling by the court as to the rights of the parties, particularly where there are children, is desirable.

A marriage is voidable if, at the time of the cermony, either party was under the age of consent, lacked the understanding to consent, was physically incapable of intercourse, or consented because of fraud, force, or duress. Unlike a void marriage, a voidable contract is valid until a court declares it to be invalid. In either case, where a ceremony has been performed, any children of the couple will be legitimate and their parents will be held legally responsible for their care and support. Courts terminate these marriages through annument. Obtaining an annulment is not a question of duration; how long the couple has been married is immaterial.

An attorney familiar with the decisions of the Maryland courts will know whether there are sufficient grounds to obtain an annulment on the basis of physical coercion or fraud. A voidable marriage cannot be annulled if the parties live together after the reason for its being voidable no longer exists; for example, after they reach the age of consent or after the mentally incompetent spouse regain full capacity.

daddysgirl215

None of that applies to us. We were of age, sober, of right mind, not related, and under no duress or forced. Does that mean he would have to get a divorce instead?

Isis1

don't forget "and pregnant". the divorce wo't actually happen until AFTER the baby is born.

do you want to be pregnant? are you willing to put this child's best interest at heart and nicely deal with the father for the rest of your natural life?

Idori

Congratulations on your child. Your husbands cold feet might be helped with counseling. Mixed feelings are not uncommon after marriage and 'personalities that don't match' sounds like a fairly mild complaint. Weren't you interested in each others differences in the first place?

Best wishes on your life and that of your child. You are both worth being happy about. I hope your husband sees that sooner rather than later.

You weren't married in the bahamas by any chance were you?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=408659

Last edited:

daddysgirl215

Thank you everyone for your help. To answer a few questions: I don't believe in abortion so my baby stays. I will do everything in my power to ensure that he/she is happy and feels extremely loved. My husband did not want children so soon but did not take the necessary precautions to ensure that wouldn't happen thus I ended up pregnant. He knew I was pregnant before we got married. I honestly think he is terrified of becoming a husband and a father and that this is a result of his freaking out. But, as I did not encourage or force this marriage on him, I need him to stop acting like a baby and grow up. I didn't feel like I was ready to be a mom and the whole pregnancy thing scared me as well but my baby is growing and he/she is indeed a little miracle and I will bless God for him even though all hell is breaking loose in my marriage.

He is in the air force but will not put us (baby and I) on his benefits and I quit my job to be with him and left my home. Is there anything I can do about that? It was suggested that I speak with his first sergeant to try and smooth things out or at the very least get benefits for baby and I as I am legally his wife.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

daddysgirl215

Congratulations on your child. Your husbands cold feet might be helped with counseling. Mixed feelings are not uncommon after marriage and 'personalities that don't match' sounds like a fairly mild complaint. Weren't you interested in each others differences in the first place?

Best wishes on your life and that of your child. You are both worth being happy about. I hope your husband sees that sooner rather than later.

You weren't married in the bahamas by any chance were you?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=408659
Neither of our personalities have changed since we got married. But, it seems he started to withdraw almost immediately. His personality theory is based on his love for going to the club every weekend and drinking. I don't do that and never have. I have gone to the club with him just to be with him though but because I wasn't as enthusiastic as he was it didn't count. Also, I don't play video games and I love hanging around family and friends, he doesn't. He claims none of this is surface level and therefore can't be fixed. I think he's tripping. He is about to be 32. I wouldn't tell him to stop doing what he loves nor would I drag him to do something he hates. Why then is he going crazy over something so small?

PS No we weren't married in the Bahamas... but that would have been beautiful!!

las365

My husband did not want children so soon but did not take the necessary precautions to ensure that wouldn't happen thus I ended up pregnant.
I didn't feel like I was ready to be a mom
HE didn't take precautions? What about you?

So his interest was in hanging out at the club, drinking and having sex with you. Now:
I need him to stop acting like a baby and grow up.
Get ready, sister. You are in for a long haul.

daddysgirl215

HE didn't take precautions? What about you?

So his interest was in hanging out at the club, drinking and having sex with you. Now:

Get ready, sister. You are in for a long haul.
Our intention was to wait until we were settled to start having kids. That didn't happen so while the thought of having children is one thing, the reality of being pregnant is completely different.

Apparently you thought I was asking you to judge my situation. Let me apologize for giving you the wrong impression. I'm not asking you to agree with me or my situation. I asked for advice about what my options were not criticism or blatant disrespect. Your first post was indeed helpful and for that I say thank you. As for the last response, if you don't have anything constructive to say, keep your ignorant comments and judgments to yourself.

Thank you!

daddysgirl

why no one has answered this part , i am unsure...if you have a copy of your marriage license that has been filed, with the courthouse...then you need to take it to his sgt's, and tell them what is going on...i wouldnt bring out all the ugly truth(in case hubby does decide to be married to you etc), but just tell them you need to be enrolled in deers and tricare, so you can get your medical rolling...the child cannot be added to his page2, until that child is born...however, if he is collecting any bah, or if you are living in housing, then YOU are already on his dependents worksheet.....now, if i can remember correctly he DOES have to be with you to get your deers id, however i don't think he has to accompany you to get your tricare(he might, i'm unsure)...without an ID, you are unable to use anything on base (commissary, libraries, maybe even legal)....also, most bases have wic on post now, since now there are so many moms in the military...if you have a base directory, those offices will be listed mostly under family, or womens service members resources.....as long as he is collecting money on you, he has to provide you with the medical and id portion of your marriage.....also, there are therapy services available on most posts, that are available to spouses, and children on top of the service members...it is also advised you seek these services, and hopefully get him to attend...

las365

I asked for advice about what my options were not criticism or blatant disrespect. Your first post was indeed helpful and for that I say thank you. As for the last response, if you don't have anything constructive to say, keep your ignorant comments and judgments to yourself.
As is oft noted here, the opinion and judgment come free along with the advice.

When you air your private business in a public forum, especially when you seem to say that you had no responsibility for preventing an unwanted pregnancy and now find yourself knocked up by a man who doesn't want to be with you or be a father, you are going to get feedback that you might not like. Tough.

daddysgirl215

As is oft noted here, the opinion and judgment come free along with the advice.

When you air your private business in a public forum, especially when you seem to say that you had no responsibility for preventing an unwanted pregnancy and now find yourself knocked up by a man who doesn't want to be with you or be a father, you are going to get feedback that you might not like. Tough.
Even though there is chaos all around me, I am still able to wake up and Thank the Lord for the great things He has done. I pray you are able to do the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">