• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fast food weapons policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rrruuunnn

What is the name of your state? texas.

right now our weapons policy prohibits all the common weapons including the right of employer's to prohibit concealed handgun permits on premises.

do you think i should let employees use their concealed handgun permits at work??

garrula lingua

What kind of a business & what are the circumstances ?
Do you have any/many employees with carry licenses ?

If employees are getting off at twelve midnight and walking through an empty parking lot, it might be practical.
If they're all day-shift workers, maybe not.
If there's alcohol on premises, definitely not.

... I carry, but use discretion and leave in vehicle at times.
I admit I ignore most of the civilian 'no weapons on premises' signs ... I think many do.

What are you out by posting the 'no weapons' sign and leaving it at that ??
As an employer, I would make no statement exempting employees, ergo no direct responsibility if weapons used.

I believe the statistics are very low regarding misuse of a weapon by a licensed concealed carrier.

rrruuunnn

i operate 9 fast food restaurants. on weekends we close at midnight on the bad side of town. presently, our policy prohibits concealed handgun permit holders to cconceal a gun on the premises. i am considering allowing CHL on the premises. also, recently we had 2 robbery and 2 attempted robbery within the last year. i'm not including burglary.

i only knew of one employee who had a CHL

Last edited:

las365

Before you make such a decision, you should consult a lawyer in your area to discuss things like:

What are the potential criminal penalties against you if one of your employees shoots/kills someone on your premises?

What are the potential civil actions you may face if one of your employees shoots/kills someone on your premises?

What are the potential criminal charges and/or civil actions you may face if another employee at the store gets your CHL employee's gun and uses it in the commission of a crime or shoots/kills someone on or off your premises?

What are the potential criminal charges and/or civil actions you may face if a robber gets your CHL employee's gun and shoots/kills a customer or one of your employees with it?

You need to check with your insurance carrier to see whether you would be covered if one of your employees shoots/kills someone with a gun you allowed them to carry.

What is your legal responsibility to maintain records of the carry licenses and make sure they are up to date? The employee's criminal status?

I understand your desire to take drastic measures, but I think your plan could potentially cause much greater harm than good.

garrula lingua

If you have no policy, regarding employees or customers, you are probably in the 'least liable' area.

Sometimes, turning a blind eye is best.

Aside from your 'liability', at issue is the safety of your employees.
A bad area, a dark parking lot, people working their butts off to get along in life - why shouldn't they be able to protect themselves from dirtbag predators ?

How many licensees have been involved in 'wrongful' shootings ? Very, very few.

I grew up in a bad area of Manhattan, and I always had a weapon in my pocket- from broken glass to a sharpened metal rat-tail comb ... you live in a bad area, you have to be ready to defend yourself. People who have always lived in nice, safe areas, with parental guidance, don't understand that.

It's your decision. There're risks and benefits to both policies.
Which policy allows you to look at yourself in the mirror the day after anything bad happens ?

rrruuunnn

i have spent thousands of dollars on surveillance and personally worked on the locks and windows. in a perfect world i would like to give my employees the ability to defend themselves. but they get into fights with customers and among each other. one of them had mace under the counter. some are ex gang or have a boyfriend in a gang.

i'm just worried about liability. because i heard another business is in trouble because an employee clubbed a customer with a collapseable baton. i believe domino drivers are not allowed to CHL. that is more drastic than our situation.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? texas.

right now our weapons policy prohibits all the common weapons including the right of employer's to prohibit concealed handgun permits on premises.

do you think i should let employees use their concealed handgun permits at work??
**A: yes but only if it is to shoot the bad cook.

garrula lingua

i have spent thousands of dollars on surveillance and personally worked on the locks and windows. in a perfect world i would like to give my employees the ability to defend themselves. but they get into fights with customers and among each other. one of them had mace under the counter. some are ex gang or have a boyfriend in a gang.

i'm just worried about liability. because i heard another business is in trouble because an employee clubbed a customer with a collapseable baton. i believe domino drivers are not allowed to CHL. that is more drastic than our situation.
Well, a baton and mace have nothing to do with concealed carry.

When I worked with angry people, I always kept a heavy stapler within easy reach - it's over-developed street-smarts, I guess.
My husband is an ex-Marine and Federal Officer (who grew up gently), and thinks it's hysterical that I'm the one who's always carrying - he wouldn't, even when he was supposed to.
I think the ghetto stays with you - the instinct to be able to take care of yourself is very strong.

I'm always aware of who's behind me and what's happening.

Keep a no-weapon policy.
Keep all guns off the premises.
Post it.
In reality, expect your employees to always try to keep a 'heavy stapler' nearby for their own peace of mind.

The Occultist

You are correct that Dominos does not allow it's employees to carry weapons. From what I've heard of it, the concern is that a person's weapon may end up getting used against them by an attacker. However, I've seen very few (read: none) news reports about such a situation.

Shay-Pari'e

If you have no policy, regarding employees or customers, you are probably in the 'least liable' area.

Sometimes, turning a blind eye is best.

Aside from your 'liability', at issue is the safety of your employees.
A bad area, a dark parking lot, people working their butts off to get along in life - why shouldn't they be able to protect themselves from dirtbag predators ?

How many licensees have been involved in 'wrongful' shootings ? Very, very few.

I grew up in a bad area of Manhattan, and I always had a weapon in my pocket- from broken glass to a sharpened metal rat-tail comb ... you live in a bad area, you have to be ready to defend yourself.
People who have always lived in nice, safe areas, with parental guidance, don't understand that.
Sure we do. I don't even know why you would make such a statement. We are in the Burbs, (Fairfied zip code), and they have found guns on campus. This link is where my daughter goes to school

http://www.kcra.com/video/15922409/index.html

Last edited:

las365

in a perfect world i would like to give my employees the ability to defend themselves. but they get into fights with customers and among each other. one of them had mace under the counter. some are ex gang or have a boyfriend in a gang.
How could you even consider adding handguns to this scenario?

consult with a lawyer, if someone dies, that turn a blind eye policy is going to bite you. You would never stand up to the pressure, you will crack if something terrible goes down. Resturants at night can be very hostile siuations. Many fast food workers do not have combat training in a situation where as someone is trying to kill them. Humans are not born as killers. You no for a fact everyone that carries a gun at work is going to kill without hesitation and in a controlled manner. Most people in law enforcement do not have that specialized training. Hire a security guard, that way you can at least have a sense of safety.

caslerst

Before you make such a decision, you should consult a lawyer in your area to discuss things like:

What are the potential criminal penalties against you if one of your employees shoots/kills someone on your premises?

What are the potential civil actions you may face if one of your employees shoots/kills someone on your premises?

What are the potential criminal charges and/or civil actions you may face if another employee at the store gets your CHL employee's gun and uses it in the commission of a crime or shoots/kills someone on or off your premises?

What are the potential criminal charges and/or civil actions you may face if a robber gets your CHL employee's gun and shoots/kills a customer or one of your employees with it?

You need to check with your insurance carrier to see whether you would be covered if one of your employees shoots/kills someone with a gun you allowed them to carry.

What is your legal responsibility to maintain records of the carry licenses and make sure they are up to date? The employee's criminal status?

I understand your desire to take drastic measures, but I think your plan could potentially cause much greater harm than good.
The problem is that this can go the other way as well. Say an employee cites the bad neighborhood, the robberies etc. as a reason to get a CHL for protection. Then you as the employer do not let them carry citing your concerns about guns in the workplace. If they get robbed or assaulted in the parking lot after their shift you could get sued becasue they tried to protect themselves and you prevented it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">