• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This Eviction Summons Illegal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SEEKAH

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am being evicted by the new landlord. The former landlord sold the property to the new landlord and told the new landlord that I owed more money than I owe.

My questions are: If the amount on the summons is excessive, and therefore it is incorrect, what is normally a remedy from the courts in this case? And what should I do to defend myself in court?

It should also be noted that:

1. Both Landlords do accounting or have accountants.

2. Obviously the second landlord filed the summons without first verifying as to what the amount actuallly owed was.

BonKitty

I would think if someone buys a property and maintains the same tenants then you would start fresh with the new owner. If the past landlord wants his back rent then he would have to file for it in small claims. You don't owe the back rent to the new owner. I'm sure the past owner didn't give the new owner all of your past rent up to date, therefore they can't keep the past due either

Silverplum

Please don't dredge up old threads.

Please don't give "answers" that begin with "I would think..." unless you find that acceptable for YOUR thread's answers.

I would think if someone buys a property and maintains the same tenants then you would start fresh with the new owner. If the past landlord wants his back rent then he would have to file for it in small claims. You don't owe the back rent to the new owner. I'm sure the past owner didn't give the new owner all of your past rent up to date, therefore they can't keep the past due either
:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">