• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

So much going on...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeep4x4me

What is the name of your state? California

I need to divorce my wife, for reasons none other than we are like brother and sister :( and I just cant live like this any more. After 12-13 years of marriage (long term) I want out. She will not make it easy. She will also have a lawyer paid for my her mom when this happens so I expect to pay alimony. We have no children.

On top of that, we are upside down on our house (owe more than it's worth) with the current housing costs, AND we have debt in excess of 100k. I imagine bankruptcy would be an option??

After I do this, I will be needing new employment which I will be making 1/2 what I am making now. Having said that, I just cant see how I could possibly keep from sleeping on a bus bench.

I feel stuck! Like it's cheaper to keep her! But I cant .. I need to get away. I want to do the right thing, but I also want to be able to 'live' on my own.

Can anyone help shed some light on what I'm facing???

Thanks.

nextwife

I need to divorce my wife, for reasons none other than we are like brother and sister :( and I just cant live like this any more. After 12-13 years of marriage (long term) I want out. She will not make it easy. She will also have a lawyer paid for my her mom when this happens so I expect to pay alimony. We have no children.

WHY would you be paying alimony? Just because she has a uterus and you don't? You've given no reason for alimony. I've been married 12 years, and certainly see no legal basis for me getting SS if we broke up. WHY do you think she'd get alimony - simply being female is not a reason.

LdiJ

On top of that, we are upside down on our house (owe more than it's worth) with the current housing costs, AND we have debt in excess of 100k. I imagine bankruptcy would be an option??

After I do this, I will be needing new employment which I will be making 1/2 what I am making now. Having said that, I just cant see how I could possibly keep from sleeping on a bus bench.

I feel stuck! Like it's cheaper to keep her! But I cant .. I need to get away. I want to do the right thing, but I also want to be able to 'live' on my own.

Can anyone help shed some light on what I'm facing???

Thanks.
Alimony would depend on your respective incomes and other factors. However, why would you be needing new employment making 1/2 of what you are making now? Voluntarily becoming under employed will definitely have a negative impact on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">