• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misfit

What is the name of your state? Alabama
Have been living with ex husband for 10 years now in same house, etc. I received a phone call Mon afternoon by his best friend who also works with him ( we have a printing business that I too work) that my ex has just moved in with his friends wife - I was blindsided - I have no money and he has left me livinging in a house that he has decided to quit making payments on. I understand that in Alabama we are common law married? There is more and I need help fast

Perky

The following link explains the requirements of common law marriage in Alabama. Check to see if you meet the requirements. (The link was broken up to keep the box small.)

http://www.lawhelp.org/AL/showdocument.cfm/County/ /City/ /demoMode/= 1/Language/1/State/AL/TextOnly/ N/ZipCode/ /LoggedIn/0/rpc/1390099/doctype/dynamicdoc/ichannelprofileid/11026/idynamicdocid/1314/iorganizationid/1704/ itopicID/943/iProblemCodeID/1390099/iChannelID/165/isubtopicid/1/iproblemcodeid/1390099

Last edited:

misfit

I meet the common law requirements of Alabama - I already know that. We have been living together as husband and wife.

Perky

Well, that was your only question. You'll need to be more specific about what you need help with. Is his name on the mortgage? Do you plan to file for divorce again? Will he agree that you are common law married?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">