• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IA State patrol and seatbelt tickets in the city

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midwestms

What is the name of your state? iowa

Iowa state trooper did an illegal u turn, singled me out of 20 cars with no seat belt because I was in a big truck high up. I usually wear them and was too busy looking at the gas prices, I know no excuse. I am just wondering for the 83.00 per person (x2)

Is it worth my time taking this to court to fight? He did an illegal uturn and 2 wrongs dont make it right.. in the middle of an intersection and very heavy traffic.
then to top it off, I have MS and no income.... so he says to go to court to get a 4 month payment time...
The only income Might be the bush economic joke of a check and if it shows up, that would be my only way to pay it and that would not be until after the 4th of july.
My hearing is 18jun.

I feel I should fight this as some say he is out of his jurisdiction in the city limits and that he did an illegal u turn and singled us out...

I would like feedback on this and if I have any chance of getting it dropped?
If dropped I probly would still get stuck with court costs or can the judge drop that too?What is the name of your state? Iowa.

In NE you cannot get stopped just for a seatbelt.

The local city cops do not issue tickets because they dont wear their seatbelts...
So I am not seeing the point in this debt!

racer72

Iowa state trooper did an illegal u turn, singled me out of 20 cars with no seat belt because I was in a big truck high up. I usually wear them and was too busy looking at the gas prices, I know no excuse. I am just wondering for the 83.00 per person (x2)
Lame excuse, most judges have heard it before.

Is it worth my time taking this to court to fight?
It depends.

He did an illegal uturn and 2 wrongs dont make it right..
The officer can make u-turns while performing his duties. It's not illegal.

in the middle of an intersection and very heavy traffic.
Bet he had his emergency lights on too.

then to top it off, I have MS and no income...
Not relevent.

.... so he says to go to court to get a 4 month payment time...
Sounds like a nice guy, giving you some advice.

The only income Might be the bush economic joke of a check and if it shows up, that would be my only way to pay it and that would not be until after the 4th of july.
My hearing is 18jun.
Let the judge know.

I feel I should fight this as some say he is out of his jurisdiction in the city limits and that he did an illegal u turn and singled us out...
You stated you were pulled over by an Iowa state trooper, what part of Iowa were you not in? Their jurisdiction is the whole state.

I would like feedback on this and if I have any chance of getting it dropped?
If dropped I probly would still get stuck with court costs or can the judge drop that too?
Nothing in your post suggests the officer did anything wrong. I would suggest talking to a local attorney and discussing what options are available to you.

In NE you cannot get stopped just for a seatbelt.
Not relevent.

The local city cops do not issue tickets because they dont wear their seatbelts...
So I am not seeing the point in this debt!
Once again, not relevent to your case.

Not an attorney but . .

You better suck it up and pay the fine. You said X two right? So someone else didn't have their seat belt on either? And to top it off you have MS? And you want sympathy for getting caught? You want to take him to court to fight it? Get an attorney? You don't have money for an attorney, if you can't pay the fine.

Pay the fine, you're in violation of the seat belt law and got caught. Stupid is as stupid does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">