• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police hold / Police custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CavemanLawyer

Police custody means you are in that agency's/county's custody. A hold is something placed on someone when they are not necessarily in that jurisdiction's physical custody. For example maybe I have a warrant out in Texas and in Kansas. I get arrested in Texas for both warrants. I am currently in police custody in Texas on my local charge, but Kansas places a hold on me for my warrant there. I will typically be held in jail in Texas until I take care of my charges and then, if Kansas wants me enough, they will extradite me back there.

You could also have different types of holds from the same jurisdiction. Like say I get arrested for something small and end up having to serve 5 days county jail, but I also have municipal warrants for unpaid traffic ticks and those tickets add up to $1000.00. $1,000.00 amounts to 10 days in jail if you elect to sit the time out (in my county at least) so after serving my 5 days for my offense I've still got my municipal hold in place so I've got to serve another 5 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">